TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks,Just wondering if any of you guys may have encountered this problem & how to solve it. I was out on my TLS at the weekend & she ran fine then tonight she started as normal,ran fine all the way to Bassetts pole however on the way home on a down change it tried to die on me,i put this down to maybe clumsily catching the side stand with my toe,i caught it & it ran fine all the way home.
I thought i'd better check it so turned it off & tried to re-start the bike,with the ignition on the display is saying CHEC,the digital gear indicator is dim & i can hear a relay constantly clicking in the seat unit,this stops clicking when i press the start button but the bike doesnt turn over.The fuel pump isn't priming either so this is leading me to believe either the battery has dis-charged itself or the fuel pump relay has taken a dump. The battery could have discharged due to a spanner under the seat touching a terminal (mines jacked & gapped so battery lives under the pillion seat) on the charger is showing its only part charged.I havent checked for codes yet as it only happen 45 mins ago & thought i'd look for ideas here first.Beford now though when i've had a low battery the relay hasnt constantly clicked like it is now. Fuel pump ? relay ?

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
Its hard to trust a charger to tell you the true state of a battery. use a multi meter to test the no load voltage and the voltage with the ignition on and while cranking.

If it reads full on no load but falls away dramatically under ignition and even worse under cranking its probably sus . but then you need a comparison

give it a good charge and make some observations about cranking etc. then take it from there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly it wont crank over but after just going back in the garage i noticed something else when you hit the kill switch the clicking stops,the gear indicator keeps flashing between neutral & 2nd.With the kill switch on run if you touch either of the break levers the fuel pump primes but really slowly,also none of the lights are working.I suspect theres a short somewhere but where i dont know.Guess its a session in the garage tmw then,I knew i shouldnt have thought how well she's been running lately lol all suggestions are still very welcome though

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Sounds like the battery, a constant clicking relay is a sure sign :thumbup

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
pull the battery out

check the liquid level and fully charge it .

then make your observations :thumbup

·
Registered
350 Posts
"with the ignition on the display is saying CHEC"
I had this when I caught the ignition kill switch, the big red one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sounds like the battery, a constant clicking relay is a sure sign :thumbup
The batteries showing a full charge now,i know it could still be duff & the relay clicking does make me think the batteries a possible but pulling a brake lever & the fuel pump priming ? that one makes no sense.Its just a thought til i check tommorow but with the kill switch,brake switch,lights etc all changing the symptoms one way or another it could well be a short in the right hand switchgear.Its going to bug me now til i sort it :banghead

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The batteries showing a full charge now,i know it could still be duff & the relay clicking does make me think the batteries a possible but pulling a brake lever & the fuel pump priming ? that one makes no sense.Its just a thought til i check tommorow but with the kill switch,brake switch,lights etc all changing the symptoms one way or another it could well be a short in the right hand switchgear.Its going to bug me now til i sort it :banghead
dud battery does the daftest things :yes

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
sounds like the the brake switch is providing a alternate earth path (or indeed live ? have to look at manual how wired up) and pump is using this to operate normally etc. so, yes, short somewhere sounds like? and hence discharing batt too.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I have had this problem before when I bought an aftermarket TLR battery. Put my old TLS battery back in and it fired up straight away.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Check the big white and yellow loom connectors next to the right hand fork leg, they are notorious for corroding and making the bike do strange things.

Pull appart a few times and spray/clean with WD40 :thumbup

Also check the 4 pin connector block onto the starter relay under the rear petrol tank hinge for the same thing

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on my little dilema. So far all suggestions have been tried,the battery is good,all relays are good & all connector blocks have been cleaned.However i have got it to run again,what i have so far found is that when the tank is lifted enough to touch the mounting bracket the fuel pump primes and everything works again but once you lower the tank it resorts back to the original problem.So from this its telling me that the tank/fuel pump is getting an earth to the bracket.So far i've been through every earth i can find & its made no difference,any suggestions on common problem earths ? would running an independent earth from the tank to the frame cause any problems ? i dont really want to do this as i'd rather find the cause & fix it properly,thanks for the suggestions guys

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
check my recent post

go the battery, follow the earth to a black plug, clean that and she'll be fine.

Yep, your right, alternative earth through the tank (only when touchinjg bracket, via fuel in tank)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for all your help folks & 133bhp you're officially my hero of the day,cheers. It didnt so much need cleaning more replacing as even though the plug looked fine,internally it had welded itself together so it now lives in the bin.Once again cheers everyone who suggested a solution. TL Zone to the rescue once again :hail

1 - 14 of 14 Posts