21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
TL Freak said:
basically if they want the bike.....they will get it.........the safest way is inside....or with a rallly really heavy chain through the frame....and a motion sensative alrm with lojac.....if you hide the lojac system well then they wont find it for a day or so and bam you have your bike back

Also, dont understimate how unapriciated security guards are. When I 1st moved there I went up to him and said ,Hey bro, I dont if you seen me arround yet. Im the guy with the purple bike parked inside of bulding 29 apt XXXXX. This is my cell number, If u see anything weird going on arround my bike. I would apreciate it if u called the cops and gave me a call.

When I go home at night I bring him some coffe , BK, or checkers. Not every day, but 2 or 3 times a month. We sometimes bullshit for a lil while and have a smoke or something. He knows me by name and everything. For Xmas I gave him a bottle of rum. All together I doubt if I have spent $100 on llttle treats I have brought him for the past 18 months. Sure its not a guarantee that the bike wont get stolen. But it dosent hurt to have a lil extra attention from the security guy.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
parkt eh bike inside or get a storage unit or u will never be able to sleep every sound will have u running the door or looking out the window with a sniper rifle :coocoo :coocoo

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
thanks for the info guys, I will try anything I can, even to see if there is storage units. But for now im little low on cash, so buying something expensive will be on a pause. Waiting for my Tax money back. But I got an apartman that is not gated and im on the 2nd level, but I do have an alarm and maybe i can borrow a car will I get my, and keep the bike at my perents house. Thanks for all the info, I will eventually get a big chain, lock and cover and set an alarm to it, I have those ones comercialed on TV for windows and doors, Little alarms are loud. But hopefully I will only do it for a month and get a car, I need a 740iL BMW. But again thanks for the info guys it helped allot.

Ohh I know if they want your bike they will get it, had a old friend a long time ago 97 with his GSXr750 and it was in a gated garage, and he used thick chains and it took him arround 20-30min to put all the chains on the bike, but in the end it still got stolen. But what he did notice a day before but didnt really think about it was that the cover was lifted, and most of the stories I heard is that they did noticed that the cover was moved, so I will pay attention to that too. Thanks Again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
chain it to your car threw the frame and make getting at the lock as hard as posible (the harder to get at the harder to pick ) keep in a well lit area

·
Registered
198 Posts
euroR said:
... I need a 740iL BMW.
Wow... I mean you no offense but... You are aiming for a 7 series BMW (great car BTW!)... and think you can't find the scratch to buy ~$100 in security gear for your TLR? I personally think that it's worth it to make sure your ride is safe but, ultimately, it boils down to what you are comfortable with.

Another cheap alternative could be to sleep outside with/on the bike... You could be your own security system! :laugh

Anyhoo, good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I was lucky enough to have a 1st floor apt w/ the parking lot 5 ft away so i would hop the curb and park it next to my bedroom window.

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Two year ago I was invited my my friends to go to BBW on the south side, a guy we went down with had his bike stolen. he did not lock it and I was spared. My bike was right beside his both ignition locks were broken. The next day I went to a bike store in Myrtle Beach S.C. and bought the best cable and lock on the market they had. They told me bolt cutters will not cut through it but a plasma cutter would.

I might have described it wrong but I think that's what it said on the package.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Beef said:
Wow... I mean you no offense but... You are aiming for a 7 series BMW (great car BTW!)... and think you can't find the scratch to buy ~$100 in security gear for your TLR? I personally think that it's worth it to make sure your ride is safe but, ultimately, it boils down to what you are comfortable with.

Another cheap alternative could be to sleep outside with/on the bike... You could be your own security system! :laugh

Anyhoo, good luck to you.

yea I do want a good car, hey a 98 with arround 70k miles for arround 15k, but that will have to wait. I was suppose to move in there in 2 months but I got sped up. I will buy the biggest chain I can, and im looking to store my bike in a storage its only a block and a half away, so I may do that.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Man go for 750, I think ya can find a one on good shape for around that much.

Also by rigging the alarm to the cover I meant, the motion sencor alarm. I did buy a chain but it turned out to be too short to hook it around the frame because of the dual exhaust :banghead The chain is huge though could put ancors on it, its easily over 20 pounds. I had a smaller cheap chain on it too, just so it would look more sequre, and so i don't ride with exra weight when I need to get on campus.

But the best defence you can achieve is to make sure they don't think or know your bike is valuable.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
I lived in Phoenix for a year and a half while attending MMI.
They love to steal bikes in that town.
So many of my friends had their bikes stolen while we were there.
Get a couple locks, a cover, anything you can do. If they want it, they'll get it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
man I'm glad I live in iowa. Ive never shut my garage door in my life and I leave my bike in there usually with the key in it :O

·
Registered
712 Posts
DON'T buy a 750i bad problems with the intake system after 50K miles......
gosh I love Living in Kohler......garage always open....keys left in the bike and mercedes......

ought to move up here

www.destinationkohler.com

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nice I will buy some, but as for the 750iL the E38 in a V12 or any car is not good, too many miles. If u look at any car with a v12 u will see that they have arround 20k miles and are 10 years old or older like a 91, V12 are not ment to be ridden allot. I like the 740IL nice big and a good 4.4V8, I would like a E38 735iL but thats Europe Only.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts