TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be moving out of the house and living in a apartman complex for about a month or two till I buy a car. So I will be parking the bike in front of my GF car, so what can I do to help not get it stolen. I have a scorpio alarm and I will get a disc lock and get a chain to chain in to the post, is there anything else I should need, and a cover. The shotgun will have to wait. But what do u guys do that live in apartman buildings. And this is only for 2 months untill I get a car, then I will leave my bike at my perents house. Ohh I cant leave it now at my perents place sence the apartman is about 5 miles away.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Get a bike cover, and rig it to the alarm so the second bastards try to even see what you got alarm will go off. Because they don't know if your bike is worth it or not, that might deter the from going further.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Is the apartment parking area gated/locked? Do you need a key/card/remote to get out? If not (like my current place), it is pretty easy for someone to get out with the bike once they slip in. My neighboor's bling'd out R1 got stolen in 2004. :rant

Use only high quality locks (I like Kryptonite New York series) and make sure to chain as much of your bike as possible to an immovable object. As far as I know, that is about as much as you can do. :O

Unless you can park it inside the apartment... :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
From what I've heard thieves will go for the easiest target. The safest place for a bike is inside a building but if you have to keep it outside I would do all of the above. I would even get a cover that you can put a lock on as well and don't buy any cheap crap that they can clip with cutters in 10 seconds.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
if you can chain it to a post, that's all you need. Get the beefiest chain you can get, but RUN IT THROUGH THE FRAME, not just the rear tire. You'll come out and have nothing but a rear tire. Once the thief sees it chained up through the frame, he'll move on.

Oh, and dont wast your time on disc locks. They can pop 'em off with a big screw driver.

Just know that most theives work in teams, and usually have a truck or a van and they'll just lift it in and deal with the locks/alarms later.

Whatever kind of lock you get, make sure it's a conventional key lock and not a barrel type lock. Barrel key locks can be easily picked with a bic pen.

Basically, just make the big chain going through the frame (or at least swingarm) visable so they move one to the easier target. Mine was always chained this way, but they R1 in the next building wasn't, and guess which one got stolen :devious

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
on second thought, just go the local animal shelter, get a pit-bull and chain him to the bike.

·
Registered
856 Posts
MrTucker said:
if you can chain it to a post, that's all you need. Get the beefiest chain you can get, but RUN IT THROUGH THE FRAME, not just the rear tire. You'll come out and have nothing but a rear tire. Once the thief sees it chained up through the frame, he'll move on.

Oh, and dont wast your time on disc locks. They can pop 'em off with a big screw driver.

Just know that most theives work in teams, and usually have a truck or a van and they'll just lift it in and deal with the locks/alarms later.

Whatever kind of lock you get, make sure it's a conventional key lock and not a barrel type lock. Barrel key locks can be easily picked with a bic pen.

Basically, just make the big chain going through the frame (or at least swingarm) visable so they move one to the easier target. Mine was always chained this way, but they R1 in the next building wasn't, and guess which one got stolen :devious
WRONG!! Chaining to a post doesnt work.

There is no way to keep your bike safe. Go rent PeeWee's Big adventure, found here, and you will see no amount of security can keep your precious bike safe.:devious

:laugh

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
ground floor apartment and park it inside that is the only way the bike will be safe...cardboard down for any fluid leaks..and make a small metal ramp so u dont bend the slider slots for the sliding glass door..:coocoo :coocoo :coocoo

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I have s bike lock and a kryptonite cable lock if you are interested I will sell it too you for $125.00 shipped including both pieces.

I will take pictures tonight if you are interested. I bought it at bike week, I paid over 100.00 for the cable, and I think I paid 40.00 or more for the bike lock. The cable is six foot long and made of kryptonite, the rotor bike lock is the same material. I have the special key for it too. I have not used it since BBW in SC. I don’t remember exactly but if you find it cheaper I’ll lower the price.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
If you've not picked out the apartment yet, look for one in a really good neighboorhood. Its the best way imo. I've been lucky to live in areas where locks are seldom ever used, in fact locking doors or taking the key out of the ignition is considered somewhat paranoid:)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
fengler is that your sister:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
856 Posts
UKbiker said:
A sodding big chain and one of these ...

Try moving a bike with the front brake on !!

:hail TLR's
1 guy with bolt cutters to cut the chain and 4 guys to lift the bike into the back of a truck and that brake lock is useless:O

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
thats easy just cut the fronty brake lines or the handle.....also try a lojac system

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
basically if they want the bike.....they will get it.........the safest way is inside....or with a rallly really heavy chain through the frame....and a motion sensative alrm with lojac.....if you hide the lojac system well then they wont find it for a day or so and bam you have your bike back

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
deltl1ks said:
The cable is six foot long and made of kryptonite, the rotor bike lock is the same material.
Does Superman steal a lot of motorcycles? :confused :O

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
hell yeah hes a damn clepto

1 - 20 of 42 Posts