TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything is yellow! I guess the blue gun has gone ... time for an LCD!

Basically, I want a good LCD monitor for gaming purposes. I run all my games at 1600x1200 at least & play a mixture, from FPS, RPG, RTS to sims ... keep in mind Japan has brands like NEC, Mitsubishi, Sony, Buffalo (?) & such to choose from, what I need is ...

... a general idea of what to look for in a gaming monitor ie. response time etc

Also - if the native resolution is 1280x1024 does that mean it can't do 1600x1200 or higher? I mean, I'm using 1920x1440 for my desktop - I don't want to use anything less than that!

Oh, Sony G420 19in CRT now ... so obviously I dont want smaller viewing area than that ;)

·
Registered
451 Posts
i think there has been less focus on the response time and there is now more focus on the grey to grey time.

i havent seen a LCD that can compete with my old 22" trinitron. yet.

im sure they are about though.

i always used to have a 19" lcd for browsing, and a 22" crt for gaming.

native resolution is the physical resolution of the screen. as soon as you input anything other than the native resolution, there is going to be scaling.

scaling, scaling leads to blurring, or general lack of sharpness.

unless it is a direct scale (i.e. 800x600 on a 1600x1200 Nat/Res) which generally works fine, and not many people have cause to do that ;)

as soon as you try to stretch a 1280x1024 onto a 1600x1200 nat/res you will lost sharpness. there is no direct pixel for pixel scaling and some pixels will fall on a "line" between two of the pixels on the nat/res.

how your monitor deals with this is purely upto the manufacturer. usually its dealt with "poorly"

might see some blurryness, or even some line "buzzing"

wiki has a nice explanation as well. bastards. wish i found that first.

you could look for a monitor that is "ISF" certified. probably only for the truely serious gamers...

look for a decent "tested" contrast ratio. tons hardware sometimes has lcd tests.

i have a cheap lcd here in front of me, contrast ratio is claimed at around 800:1.

ive tested it and its running at 150:1

that means, taking the screens brightest setting, and dividing it by its darkest setting, we get 150 levels of dark/bright.

doesnt leave a lot of room to show outstanding detail.

anyway.

its a piece of shit and im glad i only use it for a xbox screen.

i think im rambling... ill post now, and re-read, see if it makes sence to me...

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've been reading Tom's etc but ... it's hard to find any really good info. I may have to go for CRT again :eek

P

·
0 Posts
I sill use a CRT, 19" Samsung.

It was pretty cheap to buy, and I still have to see a LCD that out performs it.

The only drawback is the size and the slight heat it generates. But, I live in the north, heat is good :yes
And for the size, well, Im not moving it around that much (like never...) and if I picked up a LCD, the only differencce would be that I would have 1-1.5 feet empty space behind it instead...

:)

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
Yeah but a nice LCD hung on the wall, a mouse and a keyboard with a hidden tower would be nice.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice and what I need are two different things though :D
This morning my monitor is working perfectly again ... maybe it was just the typhoon the annoyed it ;)

I'm off to look at prices and see what's out there. I think to get 1600x1200 native I'll have to get 20'' :eek which kind of defeats the purpose but ... I'll check out the CRT's too. IF they have any - Japan tends to do that ... force out the old tech by simply not selling it anymore. It's hard to find decent standalone VCRs (or even SA DVD) now :eek not that I want one ;)

·
Registered
11,001 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
:stupid but mine is a 21 inch

Actually, it's not mine. I will be buying one soon.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
:bigfinger...

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:p man I'm running low on funds as it is & now you show me internet shopping that delivers AND accepts paypal? You work for VISA or something?

:laugh

Ok there are NO CRT monitors avaliable in Shiga ... god I hate going to Osaka & Kyoto

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
LCDs have reached the point where they are fine for gaming. Even the cheapie 17" CTX job I have on my kid's computers is fine for the occasional game of Motocross Madness.

CRTs just seem to die in 3-5 years. Go with an LCD.

P

·
0 Posts
3-5 years is a man-age in the computer world... :laugh

Still think LCD get smashed by a nice CRT in games.
It's all in the the colors (or rather lack of contrasts). Ive seen some LCD thats quite nice, but still suxs when you place them next to a nice CRT.
Then, of cource the soluton to that is not to compare it with a CRT and you be just fine... :laugh

It might be just me, but I dont see the point in in having a LCD unless you need the extra space. :O

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I've seen 1680x1050 Acer 20" LCDs at 19" prices lately.

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...Kamikuza, I have my 17 inch CRT that I replaced with a sharp LCD sitting in my closet if ya want to borrow that until you make up your mind what you want to do?...

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
New development. Mrs. Duke has an ancient 21" CRT at work (part time administive assistant at a local church) that is just too damn big for her desk, forcing her to put it off to the side and turn her head all day. I have a Samsung 19" LCD at home that is perfect for office work and has a beautiful picture, but with a .25ms response time, it is just too slow for gaming. I don't game much, but I do like to once in awhile.

Just ordered a Viewsonic VP930 monitor at Newegg for $285 as it ia a good all around LCD. Pretty fast at 8ms for the occasional game, yet it is 8 bit and has a great image. It is not the fastest, but it has a better picture than the super fast monitors. Tom's Hardware uses it as their reference 19" LCD. I also like that it has a DVI input. A lot of the gaming monitors don't.

I might be playing more games once the new screen comes in :devious

·
Registered
451 Posts
you could just get one of these :)

65" plasma. wireless keyboard, gyroscopic mouse.
UVEM Media PC.
Kaleidescape DVD Server.
Crestron Control
Rotel Amplification and DSP
Satellite.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts