TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife wants a new camera to upgrade the old 5MP Sony Cybershot for coming holiday.

Budget is max £200

Been looking at the Fuji Finepix S1500 or S2000HD

Any suggestions or comments :devious

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Why do you need to upgrade?

Things I'll consider before buying another camera ... storage media (I'm pro-SD), lens, camera's onboard software, speed of focus etc, quality of image overall and then lastly Mpx ...

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Cybershot is 10+ years old and doesn't like to focus very well anymore, too many occasions have we come home to find most photo's are unusable, time for an upgrade......

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Fuji makes a fine camera, although I don't have experience with those two models specifically.

They still use "super CCD" technology in their digitals, which is a tighter grouping that allows for much sharper images. The "super CCD" is a honeycomb style layout as apposed to the rectangular ones from all the other brands (they patented it too, so noone else will ever have it).

When they first began to sell cameras, the grouping was so much better that although they may have had say 3 million (3MP) pixels, they were allowed to advertise it as a higher resolution camera (the box may have said 5MP for instance) due to the grouping being so tight, that it had the appearance of a much higher MP range.

They will not allow them to do this any more (fairness to the other brands) so when you see a Fuji camera advertised as having "X" number of megapixels and if the camer utilizes "super CCD", it will generally be even higher quality that other competitors cameras of a simmilar MP range.

The introduction of the "super CCD" was probably 8-10 years ago, and I'm sure the gap has narrowed with technological advantages... but I thought I'd throw that out there since you are interested.

Other brands still make awesome products, and I've had great success with the Cybershot line from Sony myself. If you are looking at point and shoot, Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon, etc... all make some nice gear.

When it comes to SLRs though, at least that normal humans can afford, I'm a diehard Nikon fan.

Just my .02!

NOTE: I used to be a professional photographer (I owned a small studio called Dynamic Imaging too) before joining the Army about 10 years ago. I sold my business and my gear, but still pick up the occasional point and shoot from time to time.

I managed a retail camera shop for 7 years prior to leaving for the Army as well.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
When they first began to sell cameras, the grouping was so much better that although they may have had say 3 million (3MP) pixels, they were allowed to advertise it as a higher resolution camera (the box may have said 5MP for instance) due to the grouping being so tight, that it had the appearance of a much higher MP range.
That sounds a lot like stereo advertising that uses PMPO rather than RMS to display the 'power' of the stereo :coocoo Mpx = width x height in pixels :O

I like the Canon Ixy range - they're tiny, shoot well and all the pics I've seen off them have always been great regardless of the shooter.

The other thing is, and I'm sure you've got them over there, but the latest gen cameras are using face-recognition software to track AF and exposure and stuff. I think Sony and Panasonic (Lumix) are the leaders so far ...

www.dpreview.com if you got a few months to spare :laugh

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have used DPReview to look at camera comparisons. My daughter wanted a point and shoot camera last year and I bought her a Canon Powershot SD790 IS (IXUS 90 IS) she loves it, the thing is fast and takes great pictures. I paid $179.00 USD for it, I was very surprised it was as good as it is. The review is pretty thorough.

Click for big 'un

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys, I'm wanting something with a bit more Optical Zoom Doug, so I can get the girls on the beach from far enough away, sorry I mean of the bikes at the track :laugh

The S2000 has a 15x and the S1500 is 12x

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Panasonic does some very nice cameras and is big on zoom as well - check them out. I had an LX series and found it to be the best non-slr camera I've ever used (but its also very nearly SLR-priced...). Their TZ series are generally some of the most compact extended zoom cameras (10x zoom, pocket-sized camera).

If you want one that won't break and can go swimming, the Olympus SW series is very good, though without the extended zoom.

If you wanted to get a bit more into it, you could probably snag a good used digi-slr for that price. A Canon Rebel XT would do far better than any point and shoot (all the software in the world doesn't make up for a great big sensor and lens). A Rebel XT with a Sigma APO 70-300 lens gives an amazing amount of zoom (the rebel is a crop sensor, meaning that it works at 1.6x the rated lens mm, so that 300 becomes 480mm).

I agree with kami about not worrying about mp, the mfg's stuff way too many pixles in them these days as it sells cameras, but the point and shoots don't have the lens or sensor size to make it work well, leaving the camers with really miserable high iso performance. Taking pics at extended zoom and/or of fast moving objects requires a fast shutter speed - you can get this by running a high iso (will need a dslr sized sensor to really get very far with this) or a fast lens (low f-stop value), mechanical image stabilization will help with taking photos of still objects at extended zooms, but won't do much for the moving objects.

·
15,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We went for the Fuji S1500 in the end, didn't need the extra zoom and HD functions of the S2000HD

Thanks for your help :thumbup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts