TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have had my Tl1000s for about 3 months and it runs well. But this morning on the way to work, I heard a small bang, then the back end nearly went as I was going round the corner, so I looked round and saw smoke coming from the bike!!!! So I stopped the bike, the engine still sounds fine, but oil was gushing from where the sproket cover is??? It stops when the bike isn't running?? I need to have a look under the cover, have you guys any ideas??
Cheers

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
oh dear, not good. whip the sprocket off, as you have probabaly had the output bearing go. or gearbox itslef locked up first?

I'd say an oil seal if it werent for the bang. Need to examine carefully, dont ride till had alook, get back on here for more advice.

is it a 97?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gearbox seams to be fine, I only noticed all the smoke from the oil hitting the exhaust!! I hope it just a seal gone? Is it a big job, as it needs a oil change and teh clutch seams a bit slack so could do it at the same time. I need to get it going as I have a track day at Silverstone in a week!!! Yes it is a 97!! But the previous owner said it had has a new engine?

·
Registered
191 Posts
yup - sounds like the bearing on the output shaft has munched itself.

..which unfortunately has all sorts of implications for the rest of the g/b.

hopefully I'm wrong and it's just the seal, otherwise the road ahead may not be fun. :banghead

ps: welcome aboard. :laugh

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
the crucial bit is the bang, if you are sure you did hear/feel it and the rear stepped out, I dont think the g box is alright

97's have a smller output bearing, and yes, big job, complete stripdown.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear stepped out due to all the oil on the tyre. So if it is the output bearing, how do I check?? What do I have to do to sort it?? How do you mean complete strip down, engine out???

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
The rear stepped out due to all the oil on the tyre. So if it is the output bearing, how do I check?? What do I have to do to sort it?? How do you mean complete strip down, engine out???
Find the oil leak first before panicking :devious

Pay careful attention the area behind the front sprocket

If it looks like this then start looking for a new engine or large repair bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ooooh that looks nasty... hopefully yours isn't that bad..

Mine's just started leaking in that region too.. being as the parts are cheap (seals that is) I've ordered a new output shaft seal and a pushrod seal and retainer for an SV1000... At the moment it's only a small leak (trckles down the side stand) but I'll get around to it in the next few days...I'll replace them both while I have it apart,,

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Could the bang have been caused by a pressure build up in the case due to breather problems? Then, BANG, there goes the seal (I figure someone has to offer up some hope here :rant :)) Good luck.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I couldn't sleep last night, and a thought popped into my head, what would happen if pressure from the cylinder went past the piston and put pressure on the oil system. Might that cause an bang as a seal was burst outwards? I remember someone on this site had a situation where they felt there was an explosion from the oil system, which blew oil out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the bike into my local garage, they didn't look to happy!! So waiting for the bad news, or good news, will keep you posted!!! It is a bit of a pain as the weather is so good for a change, 30 degrees in the Uk!!

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Took the bike into my local garage, they didn't look to happy!! So waiting for the bad news, or good news, will keep you posted!!! It is a bit of a pain as the weather is so good for a change, 30 degrees in the Uk!!
You should have just removed the sprocket cover and had a look.

Hello :thumbup from where its 30c + every day year round. :devious

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hello :thumbup from where its 30c + every day year round. :devious
rub it in why don't ya - i'm on the patch of mud just west of Johnny. :laugh

hope it's something simple Johnny - keep us posted.

·
Registered
40 Posts

I wish I had your patience! I'd have had the sprocket cover off straight away and assessed the damage myself... How are you coping with the delay in waiting for the news??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I got it back off the garage as they said they couldn't look at it for a while. Plus I needed to know what had happened!! So I have taken the spocket cover and spocket off and it looks like just the seal has blown. The case looks ok and the shaft turns fine. So how does that sound??? Whats it like to change the seal and where do I check the breather pipes?? So can I have a less stressfull weekend???

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Seals don't just blow on a TL, both seals on the sprocket side are held in with a retainer to stop them getting popped out with crankcase pressure.

Can you see signs of any way the oil escaped ?

You described a bang, so unless the seal retainer plate has been prised off the engine from an exploding seal then my money is still on a collapsed bearing behind the front sprocket.

The good news is that if it hasn't cracked the cases then the fix will be cheaper and chances of more gearbox damage less likely.

Leave the bike with the dealer at your peril, if you have any mechanical knowledge you are much better stripping the engine yourself with the help of us lot.

The dealer will be charging £30 hour plus possible storage, once he strips the engine he has you by the knackers and held to ransom. Don't expect much change from £1500 inc parts...........

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
plus one -

as I said eralier, the crucial peice of info is the bang...(real or imagined!)

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
well I got it back off the garage as they said they couldn't look at it for a while. Plus I needed to know what had happened!! So I have taken the spocket cover and spocket off and it looks like just the seal has blown. The case looks ok and the shaft turns fine. So how does that sound??? Whats it like to change the seal and where do I check the breather pipes?? So can I have a less stressfull weekend???
The first thing you need to do is put the bike on a rear stand if you have one.
Get a 1 inch or so paintbrush,a pint of kerosene with a catch tray underneath the bike and clean the sprocket area until there is no crud. :thumbup

I figure that will be in around 8 hours after checking the world clock. :devious

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I have taken the retainer off and seal is pushed out a bit and that is letting to oil out. Will take a photo to show....the shaft still turns smoothly the gears all work fine. I might just try and remove the old seal and replace it with a new retainer and then check the breathers and hope for the best!!! Anybody has an easy way of removing the seal and where to buy in the UK?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts