TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
My 1997 Tl1000s was running strong for about 1000km,then a new problem started.
When u start my tl and warm her up she idles fine, but when she gets to operating temp it sound like it wants to cut off when idling and sometimes does. Even when u ride it it doesnt matter which gear it will give a quick stumble in the low rpm range? When accelerate hard and ride it hard its fine!? Even when u approach a stop street and pull in the clutch it will die unexpectedly!
I have installed a new fuel pump,fuel filter,cleaned the injectors, new plugs, new vacuum hoses about 2 months back and it ran great for about 1000km. Any suggestions what this could be?
20200413_112426.jpg

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
These things come to mind.....

Verify the following:
All vacuum hoses for cracks or disconnects.
Throttle bodies are fully seated in the rubber manifolds.
Idle speed adjuster setting?
TPS setting.
Throttle body balance.

Is the air box flapper still being used in this TLS?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Six5 for getting back to me.
Yes idling is correct. The airbox flapper is still being used. I will go through all the vacuum hoses to make sure they ok, will also check the throttle bodys.

One thing that was a bit odd when i checked it yesterday, when u put into dealermode to check the tps, it show the bar in the middle when it idles BUT when u turn the throttle lightly to lift the rpm it goes to the top bar at around 1.800 rpm? Is that ok?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Well, the TPS indicator is moving in the right direction, but it is not quite correct yet.

At idle 1200 RPM, the middle bar should be illuminated. The top bar should illuminate when the RPMs reach 1400. Use the fast idle lever to increase the RPMs slowly.

Have you watched the Throttle Body balancing/TPS video on YouTube? It is quite informative.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive been thinking about the airbox mod?
Cause my 1997 Tls is stock standard from factory.
I only did the thermostat mod to stop the overfueuling issue. Will the airbox mod benefit me? What is the airbox mod?
Wil my tls benefit from it?

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Have a look in the manual beginning on page 4-19. It explains how the intake air control valve (aka flapper valve) works.

This link is one of many discussions on the airbox mod. It contains some good info and photos, but more can be found with a search.
Air Box Mod - one example

Personally, I did the airbox mod on my '98 TLS because when the flapper valve actuated at 4000 RPM, it created a surge that was driving me nuts. There will be a little more intake noise and a little less grunt below 4000 RPM. Still, for me, it was worth it. Also, with the flapper removed, you will likely need to adjust the fueling to get the throttle response correct. That can be accomplished with a power commander or a Yosh box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys just want to give feedback on my TL regarding the poor idling and poor performance in low engine speed

When i took my TL apart and inspected it i noted that the all the vacuum hoses was 100%.throttle bodys 🤙adjusted the tps to where it should be. After all that it still made the same? My Tl really got me scratching my head. It turns out the cranck position sensor's electrical connection plug was a bit corroded inside after some inspection
I cleaned it out with some electro clean,plugged it in and then started it.

The problem is gone! I took it for a spin and it was 110% ! I am happy now.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Hi guys just want to give feedback on my TL regarding the poor idling and poor performance ......
It turns out the crank position sensor's electrical connection plug was a bit corroded inside after some inspection
I cleaned it out with some electro clean, plugged it in and then started it.

The problem is gone! I took it for a spin and it was 110% ! I am happy now.
That's good news! 👍
Thanks for persisting and for your feedback!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx Six5 , u guys always help me when i post a problem about my tiller.

So a big THANX to u and everyone else
👍👍

1 - 11 of 11 Posts