TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying hello and introducing myself, my name is Chris and have been riding bikes my whole life. I have many bikes including a 97 TLS. It's been down for a long time now but the time has come to dig it out of the back of the garage and start wrenching on it. I haven't posted here much but I have read many threads and looked to this site for info and inspiration in the past. Thank you TLZone!

·
Registered
593 Posts
welcome and good luck on getting your bike up to road worthy status...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
TunaGlove! :lolLike the tag. I see you're getting the brunt of global warming. ;) Your list of past scooters brings back memories. Welcome to the Zone! :bigfinger

·
Moderator,
8,225 Posts
Welcome.:)

73 GT550, eh? One of the scariest things I've ever ridden. Frame like rubber bands and a power curve that was near vertical. :devious

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, I've got two motors here and I'm going to Frankenstien them together, got the garage cleaned up, a motor stand and a bottle of J.D! :puke
I'm digging in starting tonight.

I got the GT550 running and idleing real nice then winter kicked our ass here before I could get it out and ride it so I'll tear it down for powder coat and paint, ride it this spring. Sounds like a snowmobile on crack! (no baffles LOL!)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Welcome and good luck mate!

Post some documentary pics of the rebuild, and of the 550 (a sound clip will be a wicked addition)

Cheerz

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do!
550 going to be spring time as it's torn down for painting and polishing and the TL has become my priority!

Iv'e got a TLR motor with good gearbox and wadded crank.
A 97 TLS motor with bad gearbox/cases good everything else.
I'm thinking turn the TLR crank and go with the Honda shells and use the 97 heads with the TLR cams. Should rip!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or just leave it outside the garage, -10F this morning. Al Gore kiss my ass!
Pictures of teardown this weekend.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, the most thrashed motor I've seen in a while. Whomever "rebuilt" this TLR motor was a very sad mechanic. I looks like they re-used all the gaskets with a generous portion of RTV. Even the head gaskets. The tourqe reducer gear was installed with no bushings on either side, just rattling around loose! I think the frustrated owner just held the bike open when the rod started to rap because there is slag everywhere, in the heads, in the cylinders, the pistons are pretty gouged, the cams and caps are a little rough, maybe usable. Front rod bearing is gone. I'm waiting for a case splitter so pics when I get it all the way open. :coocoo

·
Registered
59 Posts
welcome mate, gota say i havent regretted joining tlzone got any probs and the blokes here will no how to get around it, been bloody marvelous to put it frank but thats enough of the ass kissing, good luck with the build. keep us all posted.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So last night I cleaned up the scoring on the piston skirts with emery cloth and scotchbrite. There are some vertical scratches left behind but I think they will still work. The bore on the cylinders looks perfect. I don't have a micrometer to check sizes but using a feeler gauge I get about .002" clearance between the skirts and the bore. Sound OK??:O

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
8 years later I'm back to the tl project! Buying the thrashed TLR motor really discouraged me and the TLS was once again pushed to the darkest corner of the garage. I bought an Ebay TLR motor from a guy in Nebraska that seemed legit.... So far I have acquired new parts to replace old gaskets and seals. Had the injectors cleaned professionally. Bought a new fuel filter, t-stat upgrade parts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts