TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my TLR for about 3 months now, it's my first bike and I love it. But if i'm riding in busy street traffic and i have to take it extremely slow my bike will get hot as hell. So hot that i alternate legs touching the frame. :banghead When pick up speed again it's fine and it cools down. My cousin had a TL and he said that they're just hot running bikes and that it's the price of owning a bad asssss V twin. Is there something i can do before i burn a hole in my jeans? :O
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
First... welcome :bigfinger As far as what can be done, you can install a manual fan switch, but it will still get hot. The only other thing is maybe get thicker jeans... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
i have an extra still in the box if interested PM me...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome, I love this site for real. Will the manual fan switch make a substantial difference? Is it an extra fan or is it just a switch to make the fan come on earlier than when it says 220 and my thighs are gettin crispy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,690 Posts
:yes the manual switch overrides the auto fan - so you can turn it on any time.




and welcome :bigfinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
:stupid

Welcome :bigfinger :fingerlol :bigfinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
608 Posts
or u can get crazy and remove the thremostat and but i wont do it, do a search and do the housing mod i think
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,289 Posts
Hi :bigfinger Welcome to the zone. As said above do the manual over ride switch, don't be too worried if your left leg seems to get hotter than your right. This is also normal, even in the U.K. where it's always cold:laugh :laugh :laugh By the way the B/W 2000 TLR model is the best colour scheme:devious :devious :devious
 

·
Will ride for Food
Joined
·
697 Posts
TL.......Toasted Lightly

Welcome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
paul.haydock said:
Hi :bigfinger Welcome to the zone. As said above do the manual over ride switch, don't be too worried if your left leg seems to get hotter than your right. This is also normal, even in the U.K. where it's always cold:laugh :laugh :laugh By the way the B/W 2000 TLR model is the best colour scheme:devious :devious :devious

I definitely like my color scheme the best, but of course I'm partial. Do ya'll think the manual fan switch will make that much of a difference? And is it considered a do it yourself mod?:O
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,892 Posts
Its a really easy to do mod. I think ET79 has fan switches to fit into the stock throttle housing.

TLR's are known for transfering a lot of heat to the rider, TLS's don't do it very much. Probably all the bodywork etc of the TLR.

click fo biguns




In the end, its not wise to ride any bike on the street in jeens. I suspect that if you wear proper riding gear a nice side effect will be that you'll not notice the heat from the bike so much. Motoport makes a nice kevlar suite that is comfortable and doesn't transfer much heat.

have fun
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,009 Posts
things that will help cool it

full synthetic oil
manual fan switch
crankcase breather mod over in the frequent mods section
run the oil at the full mark not the add mark but you will need the crankcase breather mod or it will fill the air box
remap the fuel injection

after the above it will run significatly cooler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
did mine in an hour while i was waiting for the switch to come in the mail it was so simple and i used switch that was left over from R/C car days now i have the other switch ...let me know if you want it...just like the one in the picture above with wires heat shrinked an everything...nice kit...i can pos a pic if you want to see...
switch i used...

...other
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,379 Posts
CWB, youve got a Pm :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Do the manual fan switch mod.... most everyone here has........

and welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,760 Posts
99tls said:
or u can get crazy and remove the thremostat and but i wont do it, do a search and do the housing mod i think
Do NOT remove the thermostat. That won't help you anything. You only risk the bike to run undertemped, and that's no good. That housing mod is only for the -97 tls.

I believe you should use proper gear and if that doesn't help. Your nuts will get used to some heat. :devious

Welcome to the Zone! :bigfinger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
doug said:
things that will help cool it

full synthetic oil
manual fan switch
crankcase breather mod over in the frequent mods section
run the oil at the full mark not the add mark but you will need the crankcase breather mod or it will fill the air box
remap the fuel injection

after the above it will run significatly cooler

Thanks for the advice, I will use all!!!!

CW I just sent you a pm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Octofinger said:
Do NOT remove the thermostat. That won't help you anything. You only risk the bike to run undertemped, and that's no good. That housing mod is only for the -97 tls.

I believe you should use proper gear and if that doesn't help. Your nuts will get used to some heat. :devious

Welcome to the Zone! :bigfinger
Proper gear is extremely hard for me to get besides my jacket. I'm a 6'2 275 former defensive lineman. 1 piece and 2 piece suits for me are hard to come by. Right now I ride with my helmet, jacket, gloves, and my soon to be burned through jeans!:O
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
pm's answered...
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top