TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't make up my mind which one of these things would be best to tune up my TLR once I get it running "normal" again. I've seen several posts and videos recommending one or all of these things.
The HealTech FI Tuner Pro is only $200 and I've read some posts where a few members here saw improved throttle control under 4k RPMs. I have no idea how much a Dyno Tune would cost but I might not like being limited to a one time re-mapping. The Yosh Box would probably be the cheapest option at my local mechanics shop, but without a Dyno, how will I know if the Yosh Box changes were right for my bike??
I just wanted a thread covering all these tuning options so I can pick ONE to do when the rest of my work is done on the bike.
So any comments or recommendations on ANY of these tuning options, please let me know.
ESPECIALLY if you have seen improvements in smooth throttle control under 4K RPM's. That's the only reason I want to pursue one of these tuning options...

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
The HealTech FI Tuner Pro is only $200 and I've read some posts where a few members here saw improved throttle control under 4k RPMs. .....
Please post the links to these threads/posts you have read.

I have seen the data page from HealTech http://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/fit/, and it sounds like a great little device. However, while I know I have commented on a couple threads from members who had installed one, or wanted to install one, I don't recall the details from any actual users who had success with the FI Tuner Pro on a TL.

So then, this would be the ideal thread to post up the data you have found - good or bad.

·
Registered
520 Posts
^ True, nobody has followed up that I found either.
that used the FI Tuner.

Mine worked just like any other.

Sadly, I have no Street testing on it.
As I ran into a whole Slew of problems "unrelated" to it soon after installing it.

I cant say if it helped below 4K RPMs like the other options do.
As when my bike acted up below 4K, it was my old ECU being a POS.
Then all of the electrical problems.

So I haven't had the chance to test it on the bike with the new ECU & all other problems fixed.

I'll be testing it soon tho (weather permitting)
as I finally got my bike 100% done & ready to be put back together.

After the bike is 100% reassembled with no more issues, I'll hook it back up & do as much testing as I can on it.

but if the bike Rides as good as it runs parked, it might be hard to tell as that sucker was smooth as hell the other day when I finished it!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I'd stick it on the dyno regardless of what you put on it. Unless your name is Pops Yoshimura you aren't going to get the best results tuning it by feel or guesswork.

First place mine is going (when I get it back together) is Dave Wood Racing. Its a freshly rebuilt motor with new exhausts so all previous setup will be out the window.
Its going to need some dyno time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I run the FI tuner pro. That is, I installed it last autumn but then I was sent to Kuwait and when I returned, season was over:banghead I'm rebuilding and small tuning an engine this winter, and plan to have that dyno'ed when run in:devious

One thing i absolutely love already, is the mapchange feature. Just by holding your throttle closed, mid, or full open, when you turn on the ignition, you can change between three maps, one of them being "Zero" map. If in doubt, LED's will indicate map. Furthermore, you can see the map "live" and change it "live". That is, when connected to laptop and running, you can actually see which cell in the fuel map that is active AND change it +/- live...

And it's VERY small, smaller than an old matchbox:devious

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...One thing i absolutely love already, is the mapchange feature. Just by holding your throttle closed, mid, or full open, when you turn on the ignition, you can change between three maps, one of them being "Zero" map. If in doubt, LED's will indicate map. Furthermore, you can see the map "live" and change it "live". That is, when connected to laptop and running, you can actually see which cell in the fuel map that is active AND change it +/- live...
deeps: What I'm wondering about the FI tuner pro is... if I'm having a hard time getting smooth throttle response under 4k RPM's (I think Tombstones has reported the same problem)... will this FI tuner pro help me fix it "live" while playing with the throttle under 4k RPM? My bike is much improved with new spark plugs and the TB sync. But I'm still noticing from idle, with just a small bit of throttle, the bike stutters and RPM's actually drop before shooting up to 2-3000. It's nearly impossible to hold the RPM's between 1500-2500 RPM's. Which makes slower driving around the neighborhood/parking lots very embarrassing. I'm still just trying to figure out if this is a simple fix with some mapping or if there is a mechanical issue causing this RPM issue.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TOMBSTONES: Your "Which Fuel Adjustment Tool" thread is what I'm talking about. It was the only thread I've read that gave me a little bit of hope regarding my RPM issues below 4k RPM's.
It seemed like you really had the problem fixed and I thought it was the FI Tuner Pro that did it for you.
But I guess you're still waiting to see what the FI Tuner Pro will be able to do with the new ECU and all.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a local mechanic who says he'd do the Yosh Box thing for me. But after reading Ring-in's "How to yosh" I'm wondering if the FI Tuner Pro could provide the same tuning. If I'm going to spend some money, I like the idea of having something I can access at any time if I'm not satisfied. Or if I make any further mods.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The difference with a Self Adjusting Fuel Adjuster, is that you can adjust it anytime you want to.
A Yosh Box, it alters the ECU directly & once you're done at the shop, you're stuck with the results unless you want to pay again.

A Yosh Box tune on a Dyno tho, I would rather that if ALL other issues (if any) are taken care of & you dont plan to add anything to the bike to alter the tuning (exhaust etc)

& as far as my threads.
my Crankshaft Position Sensor thread is the most updated on my POS ordeal.
started it when I was Still trying to figure out what was wrong with the bike (before the new ECU)

The FI Tuner did have an effect with the old ECU, but its honestly hard to tell What it was tho.
Because that was Before I found the Slew of electrical problems.

Actually I better hook the tuner back up Before I put the airbox & everything back on.
Just to make sure I dont have to make any other adjustments & get stuck taking crap off again.

Weather permitting tho.
Going to rain tomorrow morning but hopefully stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts