TLZone Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find the post that talks about jumping something on the headlight switch so you get both lights for low beam and both lights (instead of 1) for high beam along w/ low beam, at least that's the way I remember it.

I've tried searching the forums for different keywords; switch mod, high beam, low beam, etc but can't find it as well as scanning everything I could find in the mods and TLR section...

Would someone hook me up? I'm planning another ride with a friend of mine that will keep us out in the dark (damn daylight savings) and would like to have a little more light without doing any serious mods.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Now I understand, it's like holding your high beam signal switch in. The other mods are worth while too.
good luck

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Note that Triumph light that mod was performed on has single filament lights for both the low (outside) and hi (center).
If you do that on a TL, then both filaments in the same bulb will be on. That's 115W per bulb - and a lot of heat.
Also take a measurement of the voltage on the bulb when you do that and see what you get. You will probably find that in the order of 10V at best.
The TL can barely (that's being generous) withstand the normal current - driving that much current through the standard wiring & connector plugs is asking for trouble, as is the heat generated in the light housing.

Do the relay mod & get some decent bulbs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
if you want real light buy some 55w HIDs and put in there..... they are super bright and draw less current then standard bulbs

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
if you want real light buy some 55w HIDs and put in there..... they are super bright and draw less current then standard bulbs
55W is 55W regardless of construction, so the power consumption / current is the same for a 55W HID or a 55W Halogen / incandescent.

You get more lumens per watt for HID's, so the less power comes from running 35W HID's rather than 55W Halogens as the 35W HID's have a comparable light output as a 55W Halogen - although unless you're using a reflector and lens designed for HID's not all the light is going where it is supposed to anyway.

If you're running a 55W HID it's the same current as a 55W Halogen, but the light output is more than a 55W halogen. (But again, unless you're using a reflector and lens designed for HID use, some of the extra light output is wasted anyway).

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
HIDs are pointless unless you do a full projector modification. Standard reflectors are not designed for HID bulbs.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,859 Posts
HIDs are pointless unless you do a full projector modification. Standard reflectors are not designed for HID bulbs.
As 86 would say - "missed by that much" :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys.... I'm not ready to mod the headlights yet, just wanted to make a small improvement if possible.

I'm set to deploy next month and want to minimize downtime (and cost) of my mods for the time being since I won't be around for a year or more to ride it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts