TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to sell my bike and I have come across someone who was interested in it but turns out he lives in the uk. I dont have a problem sending the bike to him but I am hesitant due to all the scams that are out there. I will give you guys the run down of the scenerio and perhaps I can get your input.

he sends me an email asking about the bike and pics, I give him all the details and a few pics, he responds by saying that he liked what he saw and doesnt want to delay the transaction, he said that he would like to send me a certified check for $10k at which point I am supposed to cash and keep my cut ie; $4200 and send the remainder to his associate via Western Union at which point his associate will come and take delivery of the bike and ship it to the buyer back in the uk.

It sounds legit to me but I have never had to deal with the sales of motor vechicles over seas. Now maybe its just the world we live in but I dont understand how he can comfortably send a cert. check in the amount of $10k to someone he has never met. My initial response is "there must be something wrong because no one in their right mind would do that knowing that they could get screwed out of it" am I missing something. I would like to make the sale but I dont want to get screwed out of a bike somehow. I was initially acception credit card payments via paypal but a friend told me that the person could pay for the bike, take delivery and then a month later call the credit card company and somehow recall the payment. I dont know if this is true but it doesnt sound comforting.

please help me guys, thanks in advance.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
It's a scam. You send off the $5800 and you never hear from him or his "associate" again. In a few weeks your bank informs you that it was a bad check and they take their money back. You are now out $5800 which he is spending on wine, women and song, or whatever... Run away fast.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sucks to hear cause I really wanted to make the sale, everything else I have had has just been nibbles, oh well, glad I asked.

·
Moderator,
8,243 Posts
Since I just saved you $5800, any chance I can get 10% to cover my expenses? :lol

·
Premium Member
4,829 Posts
ti11er said:
that sucks to hear cause I really wanted to make the sale, everything else I have had has just been nibbles, oh well, glad I asked.
There is an FBI website that you can report this to. I'm sure a Google search would find it rather quickly.

These scams prey on the fact that people WANT to make their sale and will throw common sense to the wind to do so.

--Sk

·
Registered
198 Posts
SCAM SACM SCAM SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't follow through with this. I have been through this lost $500 bucks from a ****er in the UK says he will ship a bike to the US for $4800 has a sob story about how he moved to the UK and now his american spec bike can't be registered in the UK and he just wants to unload it. Well supposedly the bike was on its way no money sent from me yet and then he calls and tells me UPS has it and they are going to act as an escrow service, and I need to send them $500 bucks before it can leave. Well the email that was supposedly from UPS was phoney as all get out. I called him on his scam. This all went on for about a month before it smelled fishy and then it went south quick. All in all I lost $500. Bottom line never buy or sell anything unless you do it in person with the goods in front of you. You want them to be within **** you up distance(you screw me I can **** you up with out going to far outta my way!!)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I found these scams in my local Auto trader magazine.. just has an email address, and i got the same story as you JiT..

·
Registered
600 Posts
:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh
& you think i'm a asshole .
You want 2 buy a bridge cheap :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts