TLZone Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Let a bit more air out on the way home. Not feeling quite so much like its on glass but started falling into the corners instead. I may have overdone it a bit.

I'm going to buy a new gauge and use it as a reference. Regardless of what numbers it gives I'm going to vary the pressures until I find what works best.
Once I've got it how I want it I'll take the readings using the new gauge and use those as a metric.

At least then I'll have a fixed point to key off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are you experiencing this problem in straightline riding or in corners? or both? could a drive chain with tight spots on it cause this?

·
Registered
200 Posts
All the alignments, bearing etc were checked last time it was in the shop.

I rode it today with the steering damper wound up close to max. It seems to reduce the wayward feeling but at the expense of making it steer like barge.
Its still got that "metal wheel on glass" feeling to the front end, like its almost ready to start skating. I'd have said it might be an over-inflated front tyre but I've checked it on 2 different gauges and it reads 38psi on both.

Still need to find a victim, er I mean volunteer to take it out for a second opinion.
38psi.?....I never run over 32, and usually 30. Try 30 for a short ride front and rear. See what you think.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
if your getting a slight judder at junctions or worse look at the head stock may just need tightening down, no judder prob not that. done mine today felt weird in straight line just not right, then juddering when braking, all fixed now :). good luck

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got a gauge today. It read 38 and this is after I've let two lots of air out. Gawd knows what it as beforehand but it would explain the skating.
I've dropped it to an indicated 32 on this gauge. I'll run it out later and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Not too surprisingly the thing is behaving very differently with the K6 forks on. When it was stock it didn't seem to be quite so picky but I guess that is just the better quality components showing up other details that were masked previously.

I'm going to mess about to find out what works.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Holy windbags Batman!

Took it to work this morning and its a different bike. Its gone from rollerskate to limpet. If I'd had knee sliders on my leathers they would have been well filed down.
I went hunting roundabouts just for fun.

At a guess I'd say the tyre must have been more the 10 or 15psi over-inflated.

Lies, damned lies and tyre pressure gauges.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sometimes it is as easy as that. Not usually in my world tho. You got lucky sir. Over filled tires greatly reduce the contact patch and can give rider feedback like riding on ice. Tires need to be set at a psi that allows them to flex enough to work as designed. Granted some tires wear odd if they are run too low. I would start from 30 and a cold tire. Ride it for a few miles to get it warmed up and look for a 3psi rise in pressure at your gauge. Lower it if the psi is not raising due to the air not warming enough in the tire. Raise the psi a couple of pounds if the psi increase is too much. Find a happy place where the bike 'feels right' and the psi is 29 to 34 probably. Don't run them lower than you have to.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Its a definite win. Its was all a bit strange insofar as I'd had two distinct readings from different compressors, both saying the same but both wrong. I'd kinda latched onto the idea of it being right since there was corroborative data. There was always that nagging instinct that said it had to be the pressure but I'd allowed the "facts" to override it.

Plus all the other mods I've been making were clouding my thinking. Too many "what ifs".

And I'm old and senile. :drool

:laugh

"Check, check and check again".

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That was one of the kickers. You kinda expect tyre gauges to lie a bit. What I didn't expect was two totally different gauges to tell the same lie.
Anyway. its sorted.

Now I've just got to fix the motor. :rotfl

Now it sticks to the road I've been giving it more throttle. So it may have bounced off the rev limiter a couple or three times today and I'm not sure its done it any favours.
I'm not keen on the sounds its making now. Surgery time I suspect.

I've had the "That damn thing is a money pit!" speech already today. :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts