TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do the air box mod, but I don't think cutting out the extra area would make a big difference once the flapper's and actuators are removed, is it necessary to cut out the plastic as shown here:

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Well since You don't think it's gonna make a difference then by all means go with what You feel.

But the hundreds - maybe thousands of others that have done this have benefitted from the increased "Volume" created by cutting away that extra stuff. :thumbup

BTW, your picture doesn't show all that needs to be cut out, only a little over half is identified in it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
or dont cut anything and replace the baceplate with a pipercross filter :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are pipercross filters even available in the US?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
yes, lots of us members have bought them. There was a thread on it with contact info just in the last week or two.

·
Registered
790 Posts
On my airbox I popped the flappers out and disconnected the hoses, but left the actuators there to keep it sealed. I guess everyone pulls them out to save a bit of weight? I think the next step I'll do is to go with the pipercross.

·
Super Mod,
3,568 Posts
On my airbox I popped the flappers out and disconnected the hoses, but left the actuators there to keep it sealed. I guess everyone pulls them out to save a bit of weight? I think the next step I'll do is to go with the pipercross.
:devious

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are 3 distributors listed on the Pipercross website for the united states, none of which have this filter in stock or are willing to get any sort of information as to how to attain one.

Any one in the UK area willing to track one down and ship one to me? None of the US retailers want to help in attaining one of these filters. I disassembled my air box to find that the base plate is in very rough shape, to the point where previous owner attempted to mod it and hacked it to shit. I actually feel bad for riding the bike with it like it is, there were spots around the baseplate where air was going through without going through the filter, so I either need to get a base plate style filter or a new factory base plate.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
And also for those interested, the how to listed on this site is incorrect. The link I am referring to is here: http://www.jiffypark.com/tl/airbox/airbox.htm

If you mod the airbox in this way, you will have a rather large opening that will allow air to bypass the filter in each corner.

Does anybody have the factory base plate for sale that has switched to a pipercross filter?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I've never seen a stokc filter, but with a K&N I think there's no problem cutting that area away just as shown.

Those are tuned transfer ports that flow less but transfer pulses very efficiently at one frequency. You can model the airflow in spice or p-spice or other electronics emulation. The port acts to the pulses like an inductor in series, and to more constant flow acts like a resistor. So after a few measurements you can model the port's effect.

The ports on the TLR airbox, like on the TLS airbox, keep the intake noise very low and EPA compliant. Removing the port generally helps broaden bandwidth (RPM range) but makes the intake have a bit more growl & suck noise to it. Personally I really like hearing the intake. If you have aftermarket mufflers the intake noise won't bother you.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've never seen a stokc filter, but with a K&N I think there's no problem cutting that area away just as shown.

Those are tuned transfer ports that flow less but transfer pulses very efficiently at one frequency. You can model the airflow in spice or p-spice or other electronics emulation. The port acts to the pulses like an inductor in series, and to more constant flow acts like a resistor. So after a few measurements you can model the port's effect.

The ports on the TLR airbox, like on the TLS airbox, keep the intake noise very low and EPA compliant. Removing the port generally helps broaden bandwidth (RPM range) but makes the intake have a bit more growl & suck noise to it. Personally I really like hearing the intake. If you have aftermarket mufflers the intake noise won't bother you.
Then I must have a different air box then everyone else, because if you cut that area out then you have air bypassing the air filter and going straight into the intake. Might as well throw the filter away if all it does is quiet down the noise :coocoo

·
No Likey No Spiders
6,412 Posts
Then I must have a different air box then everyone else, because if you cut that area out then you have air bypassing the air filter and going straight into the intake. Might as well throw the filter away if all it does is quiet down the noise :coocoo

You need to cut out the material that is within the yellow line in your last picture.
The inside of the line, not the outside. :)
In no way should air go directly in bypassing the filter. That would just invite an early demise for your engine.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You need to cut out the material that is within the yellow line in your last picture.
The inside of the line, not the outside. :)
In no way should air go directly in bypassing the filter. That would just invite an early demise for your engine.
I know that, it was sarcasm. If you cut out what is within the yellow line, you are cutting off both wings and that would be bypassing the air filter in both corners.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Make it easy and take off the Lid:)

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts

I looked at a few of my stock & modded airboxes, and without taking it apart you appear to be absolutely correct, and I was no doubt wrong, and the on-list diagram appears to be wrong. I didn't remove the filter to make sure, but yeah with the stock plate you can't cut away that area. When I get a chance I'll take the filter off & make certain, but I sure as heck did mine just like pork did, not like the onlist diagram.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts