TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I just got the sg last year after dreaming of 1 for 20+ years and it does sound nice through those little cranked up boogies, now if I can just get Angus and Malcolm Young to sign it and lend me some of there talent I'll be all set!

W

·
0 Posts
Ian McKaye of Fugazi plays one as well :devious

really cool guitar!

I just bought a little VOX tube amp last week, and i am buying my boyhood dream guitar next week: a gibson les paul classic goldtop :) :) :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Man you have a nice match there, looks like they were made for each other! I bet they sound nice together !! Now go dig up some nice OLD tubes and you will amazed how much better you amp will respond and sound.

Does your les paul have a nitro finish? I think all gibsons do. The reason I'm asking is you might want to watch that guitar stand as the pads can eat into the nitro. When I bought my sg someone told me to look out for that and not store the strap on the guitar as something in those can eat the finish also.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Man you have a nice match there, looks like they were made for each other! I bet they sound nice together !! Now go dig up some nice OLD tubes and you will amazed how much better you amp will respond and sound.

Does your les paul have a nitro finish? I think all gibsons do. The reason I'm asking is you might want to watch that guitar stand as the pads can eat into the nitro...

Have the problem on my Firebird V. The rubber from the stand ate away the finish. My Paula (custom shop) seems to have a different finish though. Only a slight discoloration on the binding.

Will upload some pics of my 20+ electric guitars next week.

JoE.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Travis Bean Artist
Travis Bean Bass (my baby!)
Hamer USA Scarab (disassembled)
4 Ampeg SVT806-HE bass bottoms (like a counter-top height mini-SVT w/ 8 6.5" drivers in each)
4 Peavey Classic 120 power amps (4 6L6 each)
Alembic, Soldano, and Valley People preamps.

Sold all the Marshall stuff, brought in more cash than it's worth to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
fellow guitar players. nice goldtop will send sum pix of my other wives. 68 les paul custom, 60s goldtop standard, sg supreme wiv mesa boogie roadster. the musical equivilent of a finely tuned twin. gd 2 c u guys have gr8 taste in bikes & guitars.

W

·
0 Posts
hi cven, that guitar sits for 4 years now in that stand, no problems as of yet :O :)

man, i love it to bits, it plays super! And the sound is :drool The pervious owner mounted Kent Armstrong single coils...and the sound is very warm with these!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like that vox they have a nice sound! Are you pickups like a p-90? I might have to get some of those sometime they sound nice. I know lots of people like those armstrong pickups. Love the nice fat gibson sound!! About the nitro...from some things I've read and been told alot of things can harm it like anti-perspirant getting through your shirt andd one guy who was playing at a outdoor party and forgot about the bug spray he sprayed on previously and that did not go well for him and his les paul, just wanted to pass along what I've been told. Ya got to get them out and rock out on them though because nobody likes a trailer-queen!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
dude i fully love gibsons. & wot i did 2 my goldtop 2 make sound betr was hard mount the pick ups 4 more sustain. changed the nut 2 a graphtech type 2 brighten it up & gotoh tuners as i think the factory type on a standard are crap. also hav the set up ( pick up height, intonation, bridge height ) checked out. it realy brings out the full flavored tone. these mods dnt cost much. n make a big difrence 2 the sound

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
OK, here's some stuff from my collection :

German 60's Vintage Collection

Framus Red Rouge 50W tube Combo w/ Zoom 9030 Processor

My Gibsons/Epis

My Ricks

To see all my guitars, click the following slideshow (30 pics):
For larger pics click the image(s) in the slide show.

JoE.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Man you cats are serious!! Very nice pieces the two of you have there. I have trouble just keeping 2 guitars clean and fresh strings on them.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAVIS-BEAN-TB2000-BASS_W0QQitemZ320256272191QQihZ011QQcategoryZ118984QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You Europeans, snatch this one up. My Travis bass is in much better condition, but this one is going for a pretty cheap price, they bring up to $6,000 USD lately. These things are pretty indestructible due to the all-aluminum thru-spine neck. They sound incredible. With some softer flat-wounds it's got plenty of bass, but with some round-wound rotosounds it's got incredible overtones and the potential for incredible treble for "lead bass" tone. Does everything well IMHO. Slightly heavy neck from all that aluminum, this one has the later strap mount at the end of the cutaway arm. Medium scale length. Since he died just a few years ago prices have been going up & up, a really good investment since it's pretty indestructible.

'course I got mine 20 years ago, also on eBay, for only $500 before he died and the prices shot thru the roof. When his collection orf personal guitars went on eBay the prices never came back down since.

See:
http://www.travisbeanguitars.com/

Stanley Jordan doesn't care how heavy it is 'cause he tpas his Bena on a stand.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I just got laid off, don't want to sell the TL parts yet, so the Travis Bean Artist KOA w/ sculpted body is on ebay starting at 10:00 AM Friday. Starting price is $3900.00 I just hope it goes a lot higher. How come I can only get a 10-day listing? Maybe I should open higher? Could always re-list if I open too high...

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
LOL I got a Grass Roots and a Mavis LP from a used shop here for the cost of less than US$70 - for both :laugh the Zoom 2020 and 707II cost even less :D There is a real Gib SG in the shop for US$600 :drool Say ... how do I get rust off the screws and pickup cores? :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts