TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing around witht his bike for a couple of years now.First we put a single sided swing arm on it from a 1993 vfr 750.We also did a wild paint job.But you could never really see the wheel and swing arm with the stock plastic on it.This is what we have done.I have used the very back of the TLS subframe and the front top rails from the 1993 gsxr subframe.I am making new bottom rails out of rond stock similar to the stock TLS subframe.Everything is already welded together except the bootm rail,I am still waiting for my metal delivery.The stock TLS seat fits well with a little modification.We are thinking about an undertail exhaust as well.Tell me what you think.I know alot of you have owned one of these old GSXR's let me know what else I should do with this.Here is a link to my photobucket check out all the pictures.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v67/hans3161/norms bike/?start=0

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...the work you have into her is fantastic:thumbup...and this is a great chance to change the color of the bike now (that green isn't my thing, sorry)...

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
:stupid and it looks good with the S tail :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
that is indeed bad ass.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My buddy that owns it loves the green.In fact he is painting it green again,with a different design.The bike owes us nothing and it gives us something to do on those long winter days.It has been alot of fun to biuld.We even have a Hyper Pro rear shock in there from a 2004 gsxr 1000.we had traxxion dynamics rebiuld it and set it up for this heavy old pig of a bike.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
You've got to do something about that chain guard, it's too mad-max crude to get real respect. At least weld up the rear corners and finish it. The green rear hub doesn't look very good either IMHO.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I like it. The tail brings the bike up to date. I never liked the "chunky" rears on those early GSXR's

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
I didn't think I was going to like it, right up until I opened this thread and acually saw it. I can't believe the comparison. First I couldn't believe how long it looks compared to the stock one. That bike actually makes the TLS tail look long and sleek. Looks nice, paint it up and show us how it looks. After all, it's only paint and elbow grease, and you can always put the original back on if you don't like it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
That green is neat, I dig it ... but surely there's a better tail end out there? Even a 916 copy surely?

916 tail is done to death on gixers :dowhat especially in green :dowhat errrrrrr..............not that i've ever owned one like that (sig pic) :laugh

my tail unit was actually a 678 - 25% smaller than a standard 916 tail! :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
the TLS tail really suits the bike - and it is much more unusual. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
916 tail is done to death on gixers :)
Couldn't agree more! In the streetfighterscene the gix is, next to the bandit 1200, the faremost bike modded. Allthough mainly oilboilers, alot of them wear a ducati seat unit.

The most important thing about a seat unit is the way it exposes the rearwheel, the way it follows the lines of the bike and arguably the shape the seat unit has compared to the tank. Not to forget the seat itself, if it's a fat mushy thing on a slim unit it'll look fugly! And ehm.. seat units should never ever be sticking out further then the rear wheel (this is the foremost reason I don't love an R for it looks).

So looking at the like the wheel is exposed very nicely, the angle and position of the seat is spot on. But the lines of the seat don't match the tank. You might want to try a tank from an older gsxr. I think they are slightly rounder and will fit the S unit better.

Otherwise you could consider a seatunit like this:

The seat could do with a trim but besides that I think it could look really good on the gix! I though about using a seat unit like that myself partly because I never ever seen another fighter with a unit like that!

[edit] what else you should do with it? well how about a big oilboiler lump in there with some bigger carbs, slight overbore, comp raise, headwork and some open filters and a system :devious That ought to be a very sturdy, grunty il4!

Just my 93 cents :rolleyes

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
An undertail exhaust or at least a high rise unit that doesn't cover the rear wheel will be a big improvement (combined with the S tail) over the original mod. Well done! I bet it's popular on St. Patty's Day.:cheers Maybe throw a shamrock on there somewhere... just don't spoil it with any Notre Dame logo :no

G

·
I didn't think I was going to like it, right up until I opened this thread and acually saw it. I can't believe the comparison. First I couldn't believe how long it looks compared to the stock one. That bike actually makes the TLS tail look long and sleek. Looks nice, paint it up and show us how it looks. After all, it's only paint and elbow grease, and you can always put the original back on if you don't like it.
Same here. I saw the title and thought the worst, but it looks really good

1 - 20 of 28 Posts