TLZone Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the GSX-R k6 for fit right om the TLS?
And will the TL wheel fit right in the fork? I know I have to make spacers for brakes, so the brakediscs will fit. But what with the rest?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
What triples are you using? This makes a difference.

May be more than just a matter of spacers for the brakes. I'm pretty sure the radius is different as well as the lateral spacing...if that sounds right.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The k1/3 seems to have narrower forks/hubs so the later models are probably smaller too. Might be a problem with the 'wide' tl rims. I've read front hub +7mm compared to k1/3 models for example.

·
14,150 Posts
Wheel won't bolt right up. I did a similar mod using the TL triples. I had to mod the triples though as the forks are smaller in diameter and had to use spacers for the calipers. Also what year are we talking about here...I'm assuming 2006 due to your mention of k6.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The TLR (and S) triple clamps have a fork spacing of 214mm, with an upper clamp diameter of 50mm, a lower clamp diameter of 55mm and a 32mm offset distance between the stem and forks. I measure the width of the TL front wheel hub at 129.85mm, giving a rotor centerline dimension of 134.85mm .

The newer GSXRs triple clamps have a fork spacing of 207mm, with an upper clamp diameter of 50mm, a lower clamp diameter of 54mm and a 32mm offset distance between the stem and forks. I measure the width of the GSXR front wheel hub at 127.75mm, giving a rotor centerline dimension of 132.75mm.

:cheers

Also-
The lateral offset between the caliper centers and the fork centers are not the same between these two front ends, so you can't just fit the radial forks in the TL triple (with shim stock to make up the lower difference), and expect the new calipers to line up with the TL rotors. It's close but you'll still need to machine down the TL wheel hub.:banghead

Reactions: dktiller

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wont use the TL triple but a complete GSXR1000k6 front fork including triples and all. Only thing I dont have is the rim/frontwheel. If I used the TL tri+les I know it wont fit!

But I got the whole front end! So will the wheel fit with the whole frontend?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The newer GSXRs triple clamps
this is up to 05 right?

i believe K6 = 2006? so it maybe different?

·
14,150 Posts
I'm pretty sure it won't. You might could make it work but your going to have to check things out pretty well and have access to a machine shop most likely. Off the top of my head at the very least you'll probably need custom spacers for the wheel, some way of adjusting the calipers to get the pads to the right location on the disks and maybe even a way of adjusting the disks so they line up in the middle of the calipers. This part was easier I'd guess with the older non radial calipers like I had on my bike. Spacers to move them over to line up with the disk was all I needed. but with the calipers now bolting up via a radial mount, you might have to move the disks themselves, but which direction I don't know. If the calipers are in narrower than the disks on the wheels you might be screwed.

But you've got the stuff. Start bolting stuff up and see where your deficiencies are and post them up and we can start working over ideas perhaps. You might have to break down and buy a gixxer wheel which wouldn't be too terribly bad.

One other thing to consider is you may have to respring those forks for the extra weight the TL is carrying compared to the gixxer. The forks I got were fortunately resprung by racetech for a guy who was heavier than I am for a gixxer and when I put them on the TL, the weight difference between the two bikes was pretty much negated out by the weight difference between the two riders. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The steering stops ARE different between the bikes, as well as the ignition barrel lock position AND the damper location.

To use the TL wheel in the GSXR front end, you will need to mill down the rotor mounting faces to match the spacing of the GSXR radial calipers. You will also assuredly need to machine down the "bushing" length of the shouldered axle nut to center the wheel in the forks.

As for the difference between '05 and '06-
I have bolted an '06 Marchesini GSXR front wheel into an '04 Ohlins GSXR radial fork/Attack Performance GSXR triple combo and the fit was perfect.

But I got the whole front end! So will the wheel fit with the whole frontend?
I think people are giving you a definative NO!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k. I got a k4 fork on my own TL!
The TL wheel fitted (got PVM´s now)

The steering damper had to be modified, and the ignition lock doenst work anymore! :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts