TLZone Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know. I know. It's not a twin. But I recently picked up a wrecked 2000 GSX-R 750 and I've been busy over the last few weeks getting it fixed up and ready to go again. It was really in decent shape when I got it. Mainly needed some TLC (new fluids, etc) and some new body work. Thanks to Ebay,JB Weld, and a few posts on the Zone and she's good as new. Here are some before and after pics.

The amazing thing is, I got such a smokin deal on this bad boy that even after spending some $$ on bodywork, etc. I'm barely in her for $3,500! Not bad, huh?

So I'm gonna play around it for awhile and see what I think. This is my first 4 cylinder. First impressions are that you would be a nut to start your riding career on a bike like this. And for the record, it's nice but it ain't a twin.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Nice job! Congrats on finishing it with no major problems. 2 of my friends buy wrecked bikes and fix them up for sale. They do quite well with them. If you dont mind me asking though, how much did the bike cost in the wrecked condition? Also, how many miles does it have?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The bike itself was $1,800 with a clear title on Craigslist. It had 11,500 miles on it. Bodywork ran almost as much at $1,300 but was still cheaper than what it would have cost brand new. The tank and seat cowl that came on the bike were still in great shape so I recouped a few bucks there. Frame and forks were also in great shape although I did have to send the front wheel off to be straightened. So overall here's what I did:

Bodywork - fairings, tank, tail w/taillight, and fender came together from one seller. I had to pick up a windscreen, mirrors, a passenger footpeg, bar ends, new levers, and a bolt set to put everything together. Honestly, most of this was small ticket stuff other than the main bodywork.

It needed a new battery.

I had to JB Weld some locating pegs that had broken off on the headlight assembly and the control clusters on the clip-on.

Of course, I changed the oil, flushed the coolant, and bled the brakes. The brake pads still had some life and the tires are barely half worn.

So after a few bucks on registration and inspection I'm right around $3,500, which is not bad considering this would probably fetch $5k I'm guessing. Of course, I bet I break down and pick up a nice new pipe so that'll put me in another $300-400. Oh well. Like I said, I'll probably play around on this for awhile and contemplate letting it go next spring unless I fall in love with her. We'll see.....

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...that would have looked :cool with the black bodywork - but it would have cost more in the end...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bx-459 said:
...that would have looked :cool with the black bodywork - but it would have cost more in the end...
True. I just happened across the bodywork and couldn't pass it up, even though it was the same b/w scheme that everyone has.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Great job. Enjoy it while you got it. :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts