TLZone Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a euro spec TLS that followed me home from Europe. Anyone have any idea about the best way to go about registering it here? The local MVD had no clue. :banghead I know in some states you can get a level 2 inspection and have a VIN issued.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
this is AZ, we have street legal Banshee's on the roads. Iam sure you can get it register here.

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Here's something to get you going that I found in search (time on my hands and was curious about the process required)
It does not look encouraging.

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/vehicle/unlicdlr.asp
Be extremely careful when considering the purchase of a vehicle titled or registered in a foreign country. It must meet federal Department of Transportation (DOT) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards. Vehicles that were not manufactured for export to the U.S. (grey market), do not conform to federal DOT and EPA standards unless proper conversions have been made. This would result in title and registration being denied in the U.S. The cost of conversion may be several thousand dollars and must be done at a federally licensed, independent commercial conversion shop.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/factmtop.htm

What is a U.S. Version Vehicle?
A U.S. version vehicle is manufactured in conformity with Federal emission requirements. The manufacturer attaches a label in the engine compartment that states, in the English language, that the vehicle conforms to all U.S. EPA regulations.

A vehicle lacking the U.S. EPA emission compliance label is considered non-complying. Alternative proof is a written statement from the manufacturer's U.S. representative stating the vehicle is a U.S. version.

EPA does not accept passing a state inspection test as proof. State inspection tests do not determine conformity with Federal emission standards.

EPA also does not accept having a catalytic converter as proof. The presence of a catalytic converter does not mean the vehicle is a U.S. version, or that it meets Federal emission standards.

EPA Requirements for Importing a U.S. Version Vehicle
The importer must be able to demonstrate the vehicle is a U.S. version. A U.S. version vehicle is manufactured with a label in the engine compartment that states, in the English language, the vehicle conforms to all U.S. EPA regulations. Note that Customs may seize a non-U.S. version vehicle falsely declared as a U.S. version.

Military members should import their U.S. version vehicle through the military P.O.V. program, if possible.
Non-U.S. version vehicles
A. What is a non-U.S. version vehicle?
Non-U.S. version vehicles generally are those that are sold in foreign countries. They will not have the U.S. EPA compliance label. Non-U.S. version vehicles may also include U.S. version vehicles that have been modified or altered.

Besides EPA, several other Federal agencies regulate the importation of nonconforming vehicles, including the Department of Transportation, Customs and Internal Revenue Service.

EPA does not recommend the importation of nonconforming vehicles. Conversion of nonconforming vehicles is usually very expensive, and sometimes impossible or impractical.

EPA will permit the importation of a nonconforming vehicle only if it qualifies for an exclusion or an exemption, or is imported by an independent commercial importer (ICI), who is a current holder of a valid EPA certificate of conformity.

Start by checking to see what stickers it has on there - A US vehicle has three - noise & emissions EPA compliances and Federal safety compliance on the VIN label.

Contact one of the ICI on this list to ask what may be required to bring your bike into conformance.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/icilist.pdf

You may be better off parting it out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a euro spec TLS that followed me home from Europe. Anyone have any idea about the best way to go about registering it here? The local MVD had no clue. :banghead I know in some states you can get a level 2 inspection and have a VIN issued.
Just curious...Did you get this situated yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's low on the priority list, and living out in BFE makes it a PITA. The bike is stripped at the moment anyway.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
No, it's low on the priority list, and living out in BFE makes it a PITA. The bike is stripped at the moment anyway.

Just curious....what is considered BFE here?

I myself would consider Queens Creek to be in BFE...:laugh

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nowhere near a highway...That is considered BFE in my book. If you have highway access you can get anywhere pretty quick.
Even if you ride a TLS...:laugh

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
When i went to Queens Creek it was nothing but dessert and then up popped the city in the middle of nowhere!

But your right if the highway is near you can get anywhere here quick.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Hey Sekon you up for a ride in a couple of weeks?
Sure i am, but the bike isn't......it's sitting in the garage with 2 flats? Which sucks big time. I am itching to ride!

And i don't have a compressor to see if the tiers will even hold air:banghead

Wonder if i could take the wheels on the bus and ride to the gas station and fill up?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Maybe while i am out tomorrow i will look for some of those disposable air cylinder to fill tiers, cant be that much $ for some.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
buy a foot pump you idle bas***d. that'll teach you to let the air escape. :lol
:laugh

I almost did this morning, but I think it's time to break down an get a small compressor. So soon as the wife wakes up I am off to look at compressors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just curious....what is considered BFE here?

I myself would consider Queens Creek to be in BFE...:laugh
How about past Queen Creek, almost to Florence?

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
buy a foot pump you idle bas***d. that'll teach you to let the air escape. :lol
Bought a little 3gal air compressor today! Pumped up the tiers and took her for a spin!!!! Damn i missed riding a LOT.
Now we will see if they still are holding air in the morning when i take my wife to work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts