TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have been a member for a little while now but this is my first post. I have not felt the need to talk about anything yet because the TLZone family pretty much has all the bases covered. :cheers

I bought a 2001 TLR about six months ago as a daily driver. I love it!!! It has been a pain in the @$$ though. I do not have the time to work on my bike, so I take it to a shop and drop it off. :no I think I am getting robbed. It seems as though every time I take it to the shop I hear "Oh Yeah, TL's are notorious for that", and every time I get it back a new problem comes up. Are these things really that expensive to maintain? :banghead :puke :kicknuts Or am I just getting taken for a ride?

Does anybody know a good mechanic in the Phoenix area? :fishing

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The TLR is not that "notorious" (if the electrical system is kept protected from the elements), not early "S" notorious for sure...Fuel pump gasket, barnett springs, a bolt check before your damper and sidestand mounts fall off are relatively simple and can be done in the time it takes to load up a bike and take it to a shop or wait for your ride home etc. I'd try as hard as I could to learn how to do your own maintenance. I wish I knew a good mechanic in the Phoenix area to refer you to, but I don't...So here's a free bump to the top in case someone does.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think the whole problem with mechanics and TLs is this; they know a lot about a broad range of bikes, but little specifically about TLs.

Basically, the kind of first hand knowledge you're likely to find trawling through this forum here will stump most of the shop mechanics out there. Why? Because every guy and his dog rides Gixxers, or YZRs, or ZXRs or Blades.... etc.

What little contact these mechanics seem to have with TLs I think are fleeting, and therefore they'll dismiss things as being "typical" of those bikes.... most of the time dismissing something that could be diagnosed by asking around here, and then doing it yourself.

A perfect example is how a lot of mechanics will tell you the TLR is a widow maker. Meaning that they are completely ignorant of the fact the non-steering-dampered '97 TLS was the "Widow Maker" only. More to the point, the TLR has a completely different frame which I believe to have little if any of the tank-slapping characteristics that the TLS did. Point being, it's this stereotypical rejection of the bike that "shows how much they know"

I, personally, would recommend looking at doing most of it yourself. I really don't think it takes much, and you don't need to be a mechanic... you just need to be able to follow instructions as laid out in the service manual, accompanied by write-ups on mods or fixes from this site.

I'm sure you can find the time somewhere.... and you'd be saving, learning, and in a lot of cases having fun, all at the same time.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I am getting robbed? Thank you for the advice... I have been thinking about getting my hands dirty with it.

The thing is the owner of the shop owns a couple TLs and that is pretty much what helped me make the decision to go with him. It honestly seems like he knows a lot about the bike and keeps rigging it to screw up on me a day or two after I get it back.

:confused

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
what shop are you taking it to? I lived in PHX for a while, I worked over a Metro Motorsports up until I left the area, was at that shop for over a year

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
In my experience, our bikes are no more maintenance intensive than any other modern sportbike. Some of your issues might be due to lack of maintenance from whoever had the bike before you. What kind of issues have you had?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
never heard of them :O

ah well, I wouldnt go as far as saying you're getting robbed. Maybe take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion? :O

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Adrenaline Performance
I live pretty close to the line of Phoenix and Glendale and haven't hear of that shop, were is it located? As was asked in previous post what kind of problems have you been having?

Come to think of it I haven't seen a silver TLR, were do you ride mostly? I seen a Burnt orange TL on the 101 awhile back.

And 3rd post, Welcome!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shop is in Mesa, off of Country Club and University. They do the AZTrackdayz every weekend. They are well known there for being cool guys, but nobody has ever had them work on their bikes.

Problems-

Mysterious gas leak on mine and my girlfriends bike at the same time. (She also takes her bike to him)

Electrical issues. (Headlight works when it wants to)

I have a full Yosh exhaust with no PC. Had him install one. Now when I give it the WOT the FI light starts either flashing or stays solid. Spits out code32 and 33. I then took it back to have it fixed and he told me I had bad fuel injectors. Even though it did not do that before. For whatever reason they replaced the throttle body instead of looking in to the problem. (Without consent) I came to pick up the bike and he said that he had to charge me 155 bucks for parts and labor. I took it home and on the way home the same codes came up. That was last Friday. On Monday I was on my way to work when the bike just died on me while cruising down the 101. (No power to the bike) I tried to pop the clutch and restart it but I had no power. I flipped the start switch on and off and regained power. I then tried to pop the clutch again and it spit out code24. I sat on the freeway for about ten minutes and then tried again. I almost got it started and then it started billowing out thick white smoke from the exhaust. I waited about ten more minutes and it finally started back up. I drove it to my office and there it has been sitting since yesterday morning.

I have had so many issues that I need to keep it in factory mode all the time when I ride it to see what code is gonna pop up next.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mostly ride North Phoenix, Scottsdale and Mesa. How about you?
That guy with the orange TL lives near me off of the 101 and 7th street. Have not met him yet though.

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you want to go to a group that actually knows TLR's you should bring her to Tucson. The guys at Ride Now Powersports have been great when I hit something that I dont want to do or dont know how. And they have done a lot of pricematching for me when i do need parts,tires,etc. Talk to Pat in service...he used to ride Tillers and hes a good fella to deal with.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
The shop is in Mesa, off of Country Club and University. They do the AZTrackdayz every weekend. They are well known there for being cool guys, but nobody has ever had them work on their bikes.

Problems-

Mysterious gas leak on mine and my girlfriends bike at the same time. (She also takes her bike to him)

Electrical issues. (Headlight works when it wants to)

I have a full Yosh exhaust with no PC. Had him install one. Now when I give it the WOT the FI light starts either flashing or stays solid. Spits out code32 and 33. I then took it back to have it fixed and he told me I had bad fuel injectors. Even though it did not do that before. For whatever reason they replaced the throttle body instead of looking in to the problem. (Without consent) I came to pick up the bike and he said that he had to charge me 155 bucks for parts and labor. I took it home and on the way home the same codes came up. That was last Friday. On Monday I was on my way to work when the bike just died on me while cruising down the 101. (No power to the bike) I tried to pop the clutch and restart it but I had no power. I flipped the start switch on and off and regained power. I then tried to pop the clutch again and it spit out code24. I sat on the freeway for about ten minutes and then tried again. I almost got it started and then it started billowing out thick white smoke from the exhaust. I waited about ten more minutes and it finally started back up. I drove it to my office and there it has been sitting since yesterday morning.

I have had so many issues that I need to keep it in factory mode all the time when I ride it to see what code is gonna pop up next.
Gas leak.....check the fuel pump gasket area on bottom of tank, you'll know if that's it's. Mine did that.
Headlights.....Check the big yellow connector on left side of bike near the ram air tube, pull it apart and check to make sure no connections inside are burnt, Mine did that!
Code 32.....Fuel injector signal #1 or #2 (front cylinder) circuit malfunction.
Code 33 or 35.... Fuel injector signal #3 0r #4 Rear cylinder circuit malfunction
Code 24.....Ignition signal #1 front cylinder circuit malfunction.

I mostly ride North Phoenix, Scottsdale and Mesa. How about you?
That guy with the orange TL lives near me off of the 101 and 7th street. Have not met him yet though.
I ride all over north Phoenix. Wife works in Scottsdale off Mayo blv and i pick her up from work a couple times a week. I've been down 7th street a few times when the 101 east bound is packed. Been over to Queen creek down ironwood drive. Up South Mountain. Haven't did the prescot flagstaff yet but hear it's a good ride.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate everybody here. :hail

Another question: I got my PC III installed recently and the FI light started flashing and the bike is spitting code 32 and 33. I realize this must have something to do with the PC III that was just installed. I was told it would be a real quick fix. It was not... Three days later I went to pick it up and he said my fuel injectors were bad and without my consent he replaced my throttle body.

Now to the question :doug

So would code 24 be popping up from something he did or is this just a coincidence? Because he is now telling me that he can not be held accountable for this issue. He said he would rectify the issue with code 32 and 33 but not code 24.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
The c32 and c33 code was a problem I had when I first installed the pc3.Needed to be sent back to Dynojet to have the software reloaded,nothing to do with any hardware on the bike.
I couldn't comment on what has happened to your coil primary signal (c24) without seeing it.
He has been working right around the coils if he has been tooling around with the throttle bodies

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid's and you better not be paying for new throttle bodies :coocoo

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah he is definitely not gettin paid on those throttle bodies. I am so fed up and frustrated with this shop. It is in there every other week, and I have not gotten any of the parts that he has replaced. I thinks he fixes them up and resells. I have spent more trying to fix this thing up than I did Buying the damn thing.

Again, thank you all very much for the advice. Much appreciated.

:ytiller

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate everybody here. :hail

Another question: I got my PC III installed recently and the FI light started flashing and the bike is spitting code 32 and 33. I realize this must have something to do with the PC III that was just installed. I was told it would be a real quick fix. It was not... Three days later I went to pick it up and he said my fuel injectors were bad and without my consent he replaced my throttle body.

Now to the question :doug

So would code 24 be popping up from something he did or is this just a coincidence? Because he is now telling me that he can not be held accountable for this issue. He said he would rectify the issue with code 32 and 33 but not code 24.

if you got a PCIII, the best place in the valley to go is ECS Dyno to get it tuned. They are great. I've heard of Adreneline, but from what I remember they were very clicky, and if you weren't part of their click they weren't to keen to details. Since i've had my TL (like 6ish, 7ish years not), i haven't had a single shop touch anything on there. If you need help, let me know, I could probably help you out.

One of the things you mentioned, was absolutely no power. Do you mean you the bike lost power to where the gauges and all that stuff wouldn't come on? If so, that is your starter relay. I'll dig out the picture i have, but the pin essentially gets hot, starts to melt the plug, and you get a bad connection. Some dielectric grease will help some what, but bending the pin on the relay will help with the issue.

oh yeah, welcome :2finger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts