TLZone Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't believe in fate, spirituality, esp, etc...

I awoke from a dream last night wherein I had dropped the bike from a stand still, resulting in scratching up the right side fairings. Whatever, I rolled over and went back to sleep.

Noon came around today and the weather was looking good; sunny, no wind, 8*C (46*F) which is lower than I'd normally ride but it's been a while so what the hell and I had some errands to run (which I almost never do on the TL, but again, I haven't ridden in a while).

Out I go taking the long route to the bank. Half way there I realized I had forgotten some paperwork so back home I go. Paperwork in hand I'm waiting at a red light that won't trip from the bike so I reach up to put the stand down to try and trip the light... except I also hit the shifter.

The bike went into first, lurched, stalled and started going down to the right. I slowed it A LOT but due to my positioning and being caught off guard, wasn't able to stop it. Something touched down which gave me enough to reposition and heave it back up... right about the same time my balls started to ache from being heaved into the tank when the bike had lurched.

Get the bike off the roadway and check it out, looking for what touched down (the bars had ended up to the right lock so was concerned about body work, signals, etc)... nothing. Keep looking and find a little pavement residue on the tip of my right peg and that's it!

Do my banking and heading downtown I'm braking for a red light when out from under the car in front I see that the width of the roadway is wet... with oil. Front end kicks left, I'm off the front and onto the rear and just as quickly as it happened I recover.

Continuing downtown as I'm starting off from a red when an idiot in a cage pulls out in front of me and while I had no trouble stopping in time I was a split second too slow on the clutch and stalled it.

That's it, errands finished. Stop for a quick coffee to warm up and home I go. I don't have to be told twice... er, three ti... umm, four, FIVE TIMES :blush :coocoo that I shouldn't be on the bike today!

On the plus side, my new Draggin Jeans (for errand/city running) are very comfortable.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I think we've all had those days!!! Sometimes you just shouldn't be out there, and youknow when it's time to go home!!!

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh

·
Registered
11,001 Posts
...at least everything was alright for the most part, and you did get to ride for a little while...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
last time i had thoughts like that was the morning before i bined the bike dodging a deer...bike wouldn't start ...almost killed the battery cranking put it on the charger for a little bit started right up got a block or two from home remembered something went home took care of what i had forgotten get on bike and as earlier bike wouldn't start cranked several times and then just before i decide to not go for ride and work on the bike (why not wouldn't start might as well find out why) then it starts went for a blast down to the river nice mild canyon road and on last sharp "S" corner before the river standing in the middle of the road is nice three point Buck didn't even budge as i approched which seemed kinda weird so i pick wide line around and as i commit to my line a car pops up from other direction deer bolts and im in the ditch car didn't even stop...picked the bike up removed what was broken and went home to lick my wounds...could have been worse but what i learned that day is there are days when you shouldn't ride that was one of mine...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Maybe it's time to change your belief system a bit. I've had more than a few days where stuff comes up & for some reason or another there is no way for me to get on the track or off for a ride. I used to get really pissed off when that stuff happened. In some instances I found a way to push things hard & still be able to get out & ride despite these obstacles. Most of the time when I did that I had something very intense happen out there that I would rather not go through. Don't know if it is a causal relationship or whether I am biased by my belief system but these days I just don't push it super hard when I am presented with that kind of stuff. Do I get pissed off about it? No, but yeah I get pretty damn frustrated. Better than checking into a hospital though. Done that more than a few times & my outlook on these things has morphed over the years.

Was ready to go out on a ride in the mountains with a friend today. The weather in So. Cali is just incredible these days so a ride on a weekday seemed like a very good deal. The TLS is ready to go & I make it into the kitchen for some water before putting my leathers on. I hear a noise behind me & turn quickly to check it out. I turn my ankle in the process (on my bad leg) & it tucks & rolls over as it catches on the cold tile surface. Didn't fall but when I put weight back on the bad leg it can't take the pressure & I almost fall. I can just put a few pounds of pressure on my leg & I get shooting pains up my leg. Damn. Elevating it & putting it on ice helped a little but there is no way I'm going to ride when I can't even walk. Oh well, an awesome day when I have time off & there is really no way I can go & ride. I had thoughts of putting my leathers on & just going but then I just laughed. Maybe it just wasn't to be?

Sitting in the house on a super nice November day sucks but so does getting strapped to a gurney...

:O

1 - 6 of 6 Posts