TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one know where is centre of gravity in TLR?
How high is it?

Next question is where is the best position for centre of gravity for motorcycle?

How to get better centre of gravity in TLR?

I hope that someone has this informations even in theory.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
You could find it yourself using a few ropes or something to suspend the bike. However, trying to alter the dynamics of a motorcycle to any great extent, once its been built, is a fairly fruitless task. Yes, you can tune them by altering, rake/trail/suspension and so on but there are so many variables to consider that, without a degree of prior experience, will be aiming blindly. Take a motogp bike as an example. They start with a basic machine then tune it for each rider over the course of a season, using data gathered from previous years and even after all that the results still vary wildly.

What exactly is it you are trying to achieve? If you want a nimbler. more agile TL then your best plan of attack is to follow the tried and trusted route ie fix the suspension (new rear shock, new forks), lighter wheels, better brakes plus a bit of ancillary weight saving (lithium battery saves a couple of kilos for example).

You could lower the CoG simply by adding some lead to the bottom of the engine but that wouldn't advance the thing in terms of performance. You also need to distinguish CoG from "mass centralization" which is frequently a significant design criteria.

Its a TL we're working with here. Its never going to be an R6 but with relatively little effort it can be much more than it was when it started its life.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I making new rear wing fame and seat. On the front replace one radiator isnted of 2. Battery will be in different place. Under the seat or under the radiator. I have custom rear shock(lighter shockabsorber). Already both lighter wheels.

I'm just worry about CoG after all this changes coz it can affects feel of riding.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Just about any replacement shock would be lighter than the rotary. I'd just change the battery for a Lithium and leave it where it is. There's 2kg saved straight away and probably dropped the CoG into the bargain.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Has any one know where is centre of gravity in TLR?
How high is it?
Since the cans on a TLR are so far back, their weight is a major factor in com. So it depends on your bike. But you can expect it to be near the rear cylinder.

Next question is where is the best position for centre of gravity for motorcycle?
My theory is that you want it to be very close to 50/50 during the riding you deem most important. Statically it can be 52/48, at 100kph this might be 50/50 again. Com height I don't know. It'll have some influence on weight transfer, which is also depending on suspension (settings).

How to get better centre of gravity in TLR?

I hope that someone has this informations even in theory.
Well, if you take off a rad and one fan this could roughly balance out the lighter shock.

If you really like to go into this stuff I'd try work out com. With some carefull measuring and weighing, putting the bike on a angle and weigh again..you could get a figure.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
What shock and wheels have you gone with?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quantum shock absorber. Screenshot_2016-06-18-18-54-15.png
And Kawasaki rims from 2009.

And battery probable goes instead of bottom radiator or on the back under the seat.

My rear wing frame now looks like that
IMG_20160617_191627.jpg

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Anyone still got the PB project Tl1000R article around? How much weight did they manage to lose off that machine?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
197kg was the original quoted dry weight was it not?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
230 sounds about right for a stock machine ready to run. You could lose 2kg from the battery. There's what, 6kg in the wheels you could save? A couple in the exhausts. Pare the frame down. Magnesium yokes, engine covers. Probably a couple to save in the forks and brakes. It all gets quite expensive, quite quickly though.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Removing a fan is cheap, allow filler saves 0,4kg and battery is good save too. The question is what you call expensive..

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
Where have you found magnesium wheels for £1400? I just had a quick look and can't find any cast magnesium wheels for less than £2400, let alone machined ones...

Id have thought the easiest ways to drop weight would be:

1. Cans
2. Wheels
3. Suspension
4. Battery

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
But as we've said, feather-light wheels are a tad heavy on the wallet. The FUEL carbon cans I've got on my tiller right now are probably a good chunk lighter than the stocks that were on previously. Can't say I've noticed any difference in anything other than noise though. It didn't suddenly become as nimble as a 125 2-stroke. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wanna make exhaust shorter. End of exhaust will be under the engine. Two separate exhausts for each cylinder.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts