TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a summer of commuting on the TL I have grown tired of riding a sport bike on the street. It was a long, hot, uncomfortable summer which I hope I never repeat. Getting to work with the tank bag and backpack while wearing proper gear was a pain in the butt. On a lot of mornings I would end up getting there wrinkled and sweaty. Riding an hour to travel 25 on a lot of days can be brutal on a TLR. I don’t have time to just go out and ride and I don’t do group rides that much so much of my riding is commuting and stuff.

I figure that over the winter I will prepare myself to finally get to the track. I have always wanted to go and since you track guys always seem to describe it as hot sex on a platter, I have to give it a go. I will be lurking in the track forum and probably asking a lot of dumb question so please forgive me.

But since I would rather be on two wheels than four most of the time I figured it was time to get something I can live with. Something that I don’t have to make so many compromises for just to get around. I rode the TL to work one last time and whilw on my lunch hour I went to DMV to register the other bike that I just bought. I swear the TL must have known what was going on since it didn’t start back up once I was ready to leave. Turns out the good old Jersey City roads were so bumpy it loosened up some harnesses.
So what did I end up getting?

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
ST1300 perhaps? :drool

Very nice commuter bike.

Is the track like sex on a platter? I don't think I'd ever make that comparison. Hell, each track session is 20 minutes, I'm good for five tops for sex! :rotfl

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's a 2003 Suzuki Burgman 650 - Scooter type, or maxi-scooter like they are now called or as Suzuki puts it "a touring machine with a convenient step-through design":laugh
It only has 1700 miles on it and a year left on the extended warranty. The guy that I bought it from was a maintenance, ducumentation nut type of guy so I have a full history on it.
I like it a lot. It rides really great, pretty damned fast, top speed around 115mph all while getting around 50-55 mpg. Since the CVT is totally controlled by a computer it accelerates very quickly from any speed. It is much better than a Silverwing for many reasons(to name a few):
-dual disc brakes up front
-much more sophisticated tranny – regular and power mode plus you can shift it manually
-gear driven final drive, cheaper to maintain (has engine braking as well)
-larger wheels
-better mileage with a larger engine
-12 volt socket
-more storage
-better engine placement

This thing gives new meaning to low center of gravity. I think a can scrape the kick stand while going to the corner for a gallon of milk. Also because of the low center of gravity it doesn't dive under hard braking.
The second day a had it I ran to the store, bought some charcoal, a few packages of meat and a six pack, put it all under the seat then went home a bbq’d for the family. I can auctually see what's in the mirrors and the headlights are the brightest that I've seen on a bike.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gixxerjasen said:

Is the track like sex on a platter? I don't think I'd ever make that comparison. Hell, each track session is 20 minutes, I'm good for five tops for sex! :rotfl
Come on now, you guys practically need to wear Depends after a track day.:)

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
That's awsome. Even the anti-scooter guy at MCN loves it now - they made him commute on it for a month or something and he has now purchased one for himself - commuting full time on it. They did a 3-4page write up about burgman commuting IIRC.

·
14,150 Posts
Wonder what kind of mods are available for it. :devious

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
For pure commuting duty, I can't think of a better transportation module than that Burgman.

I think they look rather cool too. Imagine a city scene in a violent futuristic Cyborg killing humans flick. Fleets of Burgmans quitely and efficiently moving through the coldly spare reflecting glass future cityscape. Then the evil cyborg arrives, lazer cannon blazing, causing Bruckheimer sized firey mayhem in full DTX surround sound audio. The Burgmans open previously hidden mini rocket launchers and mount a viscious counter attack, rendering the Cyborgs into molten globulated metal :fire

Shit, we have Snakes On A Plane, why not "Burgmans On A Rampage?" :laugh

·
14,150 Posts
Hitting it a little early this morning duken? :laugh

J

·
0 Posts
NOOOO!

you should be banned for life!

you should have bought big dual purpose enduro, those are great for commuting.

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Hitting it a little early this morning duken?
Yes, the altitude here must be getting to me :laugh

·
14,150 Posts
You've lived there long enough that you can't use that excuse anymore! :laugh

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JarkkoT said:
NOOOO!

you should be banned for life!

you should have bought big dual purpose enduro, those are great for commuting.
Hopefully a big dual purpose enduro is in my future. I haven't owned one yet. But banned for life? When most bikes are tucked away for the winter, I'll still be riding. These things have great rain and wind protection.
Here are a few more pics.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
Lots of places to hide your weed :)

·
14,150 Posts
WTF? A pass light on a scooter? :O The only thing that'll pass is the gas station!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
gixxerjasen said:
WTF? A pass light on a scooter? :O The only thing that'll pass is the gas station!
Well not exactly. From the seat of the pants it doesn't feel much slower than the SV650S that I had. If you were closer by I'd let you check it out. I'm sure that you'd be impressed.

·
14,150 Posts
I'm sure I would. It's just the thought...you wouldn't think that's something you'd see on a scooter.

However...if you lived in Florida I'm sure that any scooter would need a pass button behind the blue hairs...not that they'd see it...or care.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I think you should be bannished as well. I would have accepted an FJR or ST. But not a scooter. :bitchslap

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I like it (better than an ST for sure:lol). I commute a lot and can certainly see the appeal, esp over a big dual sport - not much has the wind protection, storage and mileage of a big scooter. i can even see where I'd like the auto trans in heavy traffic. If I'm stuck with this commute too much longer I may very well end up on something similar or perhaps a DL650:O

There are quite a few Burgmen that commute in this area, they have no problem at all keeping up with traffic (often 80mph). Its really more a step-through motorcycle than a scooter (IIRC the drive unit is even suspended right?)

Let me know what the fuel range is when you get around to it please:)

have fun

1 - 20 of 27 Posts