TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with an S gone back to the stock calipers? With my current setup I have never needed more than 1 finger even in highspeed near panic stops, so I'm thinking about going back to the stockers with new HH's like the current 6's and save a little unsprung weight.

anyone run the 4's with the larger m/c?

current setup is march wheels, ss lines, braking rotors and srad gixxer calipers and m/c.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't see going to a new m/c, I'm trying to STOP spending money on this old bike and get another one...but I think I might have to try it. Though, I DID just rebuild the damn 6 pots..but I guess I could keep those for track days....

thanks for the feedback though!

Gerhard....you out there?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
how much weight are you really gonna save........?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
I still have 4-pots and find them sufficent for my purposes. I wouldn't want to trade weight for additional braking ability myself (if I rode track on the TL it might be a different story).

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I was quite disappointed running 4 pots and a 5/8 master cylinder on the SV. It just had no feel and felt "wrong" I have since put a stock set of 4 pots and a SS line with a stock TLS 14 mm m/c and it is great. I put the six pot with 5/8's on the TLS and it rocks.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Just got my 5/8" MC and 6 pots done last weekend. I can't see why I would ever want to go back to the 4 pots.

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
You replaced the rotors, so you should be fine either way.
Its the stock rotors that suck, not the calipers.

Best Brakes: Brembo radial and PFM Superbike kit.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The 4 pot calipers are about 500g lighter than the 6 pots (alltogether).

Greetings
Rufer
(who wouldn't go back to the 4 pots)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got my 5/8" MC and 6 pots done last weekend. I can't see why I would ever want to go back to the 4 pots.
I wouldn't either if everything was original oem stuff. as I said in my initial post, my current setup is on the verge of being too much.

friend of mine that will be back in Ama as a privateer next year really likes the 4 pot setups for my application, so might give them a try.

"how much weight are you really gonna save........?"

not much...but then I don't save much with Ti bolts either and I'm starting to buy them.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
A pound + of unsprung weight on the front end is pretty significant imho - that's a heck of a lot of ti bolts:)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea, though I don't think it'll be very noticeable since it's not rotating...

eh, bike is still torn apart right now while I finish up the valves, just thinking of other things to do to it.

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I put braided lines and EBC rotors and still cant tell that much of a difference from stock rotors with different pads other than they were one of the biggest PITA mods ive ever done to an all weather street bike. never again.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Well, I'd never go back to the 4 pots.
I made the swift to the 6pots in the same time with braided lines and 5/8 so I can't tell which one made the big difference but I wouldn't go back in any case....
As for the extra weight, I prefer to go on a diet and lose some from my beer belly :laugh

·
Registered
184 Posts
A pound of weight off of the fork lugs is an extraordinary amount. You feel that every time you turn the bike.
I had 6 pots, AP m/c, iron rotors, all kind of stuff. I currently have 4 pots with SS lines, and I think it stops just as well. Though, I am a better rider now and I think I am a way better breaker than I was when I had the fancy set up.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
I loved the difference when I took my TLS form 4-pots to 6-pots, but then again I simultaneoulsy went from stock pads to very aggressive Ferodo pads. But I would never have gone back despite spending the bucks on super-light CF wheels. Now if I had Brembo 4-pots or some solid billet ones that's a different story.

How about some Spiegler 8-pots?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
i stoppied dukens bike once on accident pulling in to a burger joint. 4 pots with braIded lines and bedded in from a track day. his 4 pots :hailare every bit as one finger effective as my bling bling gold 6 pots, braided lines, and wave rotors.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If it's any help, a good half of the old school SRAD GSXR750 racers switched to the GSXR600/TLS four pot calipers and found them better. The newer bikes 600 and 750 had the four pots. I have stuck with the six pots and like them but they may have fallen out of use for a reason. They both work anway, even for extreme use applications so that must mean they can both get the job done. Personal preference.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it's any help, a good half of the old school SRAD GSXR750 racers switched to the GSXR600/TLS four pot calipers and found them better. The newer bikes 600 and 750 had the four pots. I have stuck with the six pots and like them but they may have fallen out of use for a reason. They both work anway, even for extreme use applications so that must mean they can both get the job done. Personal preference.
yea, that's what I'm hearing from the friend that races privateer ama.

I think I'll give it a try, only out the cost of pads if I don't like it.

and to all those who don't know why anyone would do that, try new rims, braking rotors, hh pads, ss lines....it's not anywhere near the stock setup, or the stock rotors/wheels with 6 pots.

·
Registered
62 Posts
kevlar lines and EBC HH pads with the original 4 pots for me. At track days with some heavy braking it is fade free and will do easy one finger stoppies. Other people who have tried my bike (better riders than me) think the brakes are super-sensitive and have almost too much initial bite- I really like 'em that way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts