TLZone Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 oldsmobile 98 that I just put a used transmission in. The car has a 3800V6 and the trans is a 4T60, also known as the 440T4 hydramatic. The trans shifts well, but there is a rattling that sounds like it is coming from the trans, between the engine and the firewall. It only is there at idle. When I shift into reverse or drive it goes away, and then when i'm driving and start slowing to a stop I hear it again. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
:stupid All of them. Those were the first two things that came to my mind as well.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
could be many things including a worn front pump . loose gears in the planetary or worn one way bearing in the converter.

·
king dork
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the bolts have been torqued and installed with blue loctite. I did read something about an issue on the 4T60-E, which is essentially the same transmission with electronic controls, which said it can be caused by cavitation and low pressure of the pump. Is this something that can be replaced with the trans in the car. It is a bitch to remove. The car runs and drives, and the trans shifts well. Worst case might be to keep driving until this one goes if I cannot repair it in car, at which point I think i'll look for a Supercharged 3800 w/ trans to replace the whole drive train. Although I'm not sure where I can do this work as my HOA hates me :laugh

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
You can't replace the pump on the car but there will be a port to check the pressure. I believe you can download the ATSG service manual for that tranny for about $20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts