TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k., so I constantly kick myself in the mental arse for "balking" with Rifleman. I've got the info on where/how to get the 1/5th throttle insert and keep telling him I'm gonna git one, but then I flake. I start to send for it and chicken out. I've lately become addicted to 2nd gear wheelies (attempts anyway). I've always tried the on/off method in first and it always felt sketchy on any bike I've been on. I sprained my wrist closing the throttle on the TLS after I first got it. It comes up so fast and high...I would've smashed my junk on the gas tank had they not hidden themselves in my butt.

Anyway, one morning leaving work I thought I'd try a 2d gear cluth wheelie and wow, it was the longest smoothest, wheelie I ever did. Just tapped the rear brake and she came back down beautifully and luckily my buddy was riding in the other lane to see it all. I guess that was like the first inhalation of crack, cause now I'm chasing that feeling again. Now I reach for the throttle and position my right foot and finally my brain kicks in and says "STOP IT" so I control myself that way. Worried about getting a ticket and more.

I know this is a stupid question, but here goes...

Those of you that have gotten Rifleman's 1/5th insert, just post up your own personal experiences. i.e. what was it like on the first ride. How do you like it now?

Come on guys, I want to do this mod, so scare the hell out of me...call me chicken...dare me...

Anyway, I'm just looking for personal experiences...

I know I need to do this mod, but i'm skerred, My TL loves me, but she'll slap me upside the head with her triples if I don't act right. Just wondering if I'm gonna end up with a triple clamp bruise on my forehead and road rash on my back. (I wear gear.)

Sorry for the long thread, but eh I'm bored,

C

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Sheesh, just do it. It's not like it costs $500 and you've got to decide if you want to do it or not.

Biggest advantage...it gives you full use of your throttle without having to crank your hand around unnaturally. I originally went after a 1/5 for this very reason because I found that when I was WOT I wasn't really WOT. Putting on the adapter gave me access to that extra throttle and it felt like I'd given my bike an HP upgrade. Pretty much now whenever I get a new bike, one of the first things I look for is a 1/5 if it's needed. (hint: Some bikes come with them stock)

Oh yea.....CHICKEN!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I fitted 1/5 throttle insert from Rifleman few months ago and it was wierd at first trying to get used to it. Bike jerky, fast throttle response but now it's FRIGGIN GREAT go on just get one :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got one from Rifleman right about when I first got my bike. And I have to say that I do definitely like having it. BUT... I think that the benefit of it is also the reason I it bothers me sometimes. For example: Just as fast as you can crank on the gas, it suddenly is gone when you roll off. It just seems like the gradual easing off of the throttle is gone so its more of a sudden lose of power when you let off.
But I'd say the pros outway the cons in my eyes so that's why I keep it on the bike.

On another subject I would like to hear more about your second gear wheelies... I've yet to try this only because I'm less then comfortable, sort of blindly releasing the clutch at an rpm high enough to lift the bike off the ground. I'm not too keen on the idea of a 500lb hat. So I'd like to hear your experience with trying that.

Patrick

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Weiner ... I had one for about 6 months before I put it on - just never got around to it then moved house etc etc. At first I was a little worried it would be too twitchy ... but it's not at all.

It's just A-AAALL good!

The ONLY thing that you could even possibly slightly maybe go 'harumph' about is when you hit a big pothole & you roll off the throttle ... it rolls off alot & can be a very tiny small surprise ... the worst thing is you sound like a noobie :)

Actually, the worst thing is you start riding more aggressively than before cos it's just so easy now :laugh

·
Registered
379 Posts
Love it.

Was one of the first things I did to my TL after getting it, so I hadn't grown accustom to the original throttle. I did, however, hate the original throttle. It had way too much travel.

Do it, you won't regret it. While you're at it, switch out that front sprocket for a 16 tooth and get a TRE.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Love it to bits, was a huge improvement on responce, but within total control, i think i need to get something better now thou, cos i so used to it, i need a next size up :)

·
Pygmy looking for a new name
14,150 Posts
Spektrum-SA1 said:
Do it, you won't regret it. While you're at it, switch out that front sprocket for a 16 tooth and get a TRE.
Don't be a weenie...go two up in the rear and run a 15 on the front. :eek:mg
I actually had a 17/41 on my bike, but I had a 15 I'd toss on just for giggles from time to time. Made my TL able to hang with my buddies 954 from stoplight to stoplight. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
Sheesh, just do it. It's not like it costs $500 and you've got to decide if you want to do it or not.
:stupid :coocoo

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Just DO IT .............. and quit bein a Pussy :laugh

·
Registered
79 Posts
another vote to do it. :yes

There are only benefits to doing it:

- it's cheap
- it feels like the bike is stronger
- it's easy
- you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner

·
Registered
379 Posts
gixxerjasen said:
Don't be a weenie...go two up in the rear and run a 15 on the front. :eek:mg
I actually had a 17/41 on my bike, but I had a 15 I'd toss on just for giggles from time to time. Made my TL able to hang with my buddies 954 from stoplight to stoplight. :)
That's crazy, did it make the chain rub at all?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Done it.. Makes the bike feel like its making 10Hp more for the first week or two, you wont be able to get the grin off of your face.... other people whom you trust to ride your bike will hate it as they think the throttle is either "on or off" compaired to the sloppy factory throttle, which is a good thing... keeps the noobies away from your ride and they think its "evil" and "id never ride one of those wicked things":devious ..just makes me laugh and think "pussy".... its a good mod and just hike up your skirt and do it... It WILL wheelie like your not used to... but its not like you cant ever go back (and not that you'd ever want to either)... :cheers and enjoy it when you get it!

~jesse

Oh and i havent seen to many people here saying "dont do it youll regret it"
....hike up the skirt man... :laugh

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
its fine;. go for it :thumbup

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
did anyone say JUST DO! IT!!!....your wrist will thank you now you arse and forehead are another matter alltogether....and like was mentioned it is just aseasy to take it off......i'm betting you wont...i didn't...love it!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm not changing the gearing, sorry, but I like the stock gearing. I've never liked dropping/adding teeth, hasn't been a point to that since the early nineties. (stunters doing slow speed cirlce wheelies excluded)

The twitchiness is what worries me the most. Despite the amount of throttle turn, the TL can be twitchy. It tossed me off one morning on the way to work, doing a slow left hander. The bike wasn't fully warmed up, the tires were cold and I wasn't quite accustomed to the stumbles, so cold tire + oil on road + stumble = Low speed low side.

Anyway, Orange01, you'd be surprised that second gear, although faster speed wise, the wheelie is so contollable. The first one I did, that day, was smooth up and smooth down, basically all on it's own. I was covering the rear brake and gave it a little tap when It got as high as I felt comfortable with. The throttle control is so much easier, plus the added speed actually helps the bike be stable (not at 12 o'clock, that's on you) I think the gyro forces are stronger cause the wheel is spinning much faster. I won't ever try a wheelie in first gear again (maybe once in a while.) I've been riding for 20+ years and first gear is so sketchy to me and now that I've seen the error of my ways it's all second gear, smooth up and down, long enough to be impressive, short enough to not starve the engine of oil. The other thing is clutching it up versus power up. I learned the on/off/on method of powering it up, but being small it was more of a slam your sack into the tank the and slide your butt to the back method. The clutch is just so much more controllable. Just don't pop the clutch, just feather it. That's all the TL needs. On my bike the sweet spot seems to be 45mph, as I'm accelerating, not to aggressive, as it hits the 45mph mark, I'm riding with two fingers on the clutch, just feather it and it'll slip (don't know about the R guys with hydraulic clutches) and since your accelerating the RPM's will go up quickly, not to redline or anything, just a few grand, to about 7000 or so, mind you, go by feel, don't look at your gauges, and feather the clutch back out. A few times and you'll get the feel for where it really takes hold and starts to lift and how quick you need to let it out. I also noticed that once you do that you'll need to dial in more throttle, I go for WOT and it just keeps coming up slow and smooth. This is where Rifleman's insert would come in handy. I forgot to mention that before I get into any of that, I have to re-position my throttle hand, creep it over to get a handful, so I can get that final bit of twist. I think it'd be impossible from the normal position. The insert would definitely help. The other thing is, because of the sketchyness of closing the throttle in first, I found that I just use the rear brake to bring it back down (if you need to, for the most part it's just comes up and slowly goes back down) don't close the throttle at all. In first there's so much torque, you have to stand on the rear brake cause the TL will just keep pushing through it, plus the reaction time has to exponentially higher in first than in second considering how fast and high it comes up in first.

Oh, and for you on/off/on guys, have you ever tried the rear brake method? I tried it a few times and it was o.k. (that's the one where you tap the rear brake instead of chopping the throttle, the bike will dip compressing the front enough to use the rebound of the forks, and the good part is your foot is already covering the rear brake.) If I was to do a 1st gear wheelie, which I'm not, that'd be my method. A little less Jerky for my taste.

It's funny, out of NOOB, Chicken and Pussy, i took the most offense from NOOB, so much so I'm looking for my checkbook right now. Will I flake? Ah, we shall see grasshopper.

Thanks for the info guys...

C

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't Flake man...I worried about drivability since I commute daily on mine. Honestly it took me a full day of riding to get used to it. It was just like having a new bike. Super quick response that will put a huge smile on your face just like when you first got the bike. Now I couldn't imagine ever going back to the old throttle. IMHO, the bike should have come from the factory like this.

I wouldn't keep it if it wasn't usable in traffic (my daily commute), and I wouldn't recommend it if I thought you wouldn't enjoy it.

Off with the panties...on with the 1/5.:bitchslap

1 - 20 of 32 Posts