TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well last night i went to attempt the tps and TB sync, got all my stuff to make the carb tool and for the life of me could not get the oil to go into the tube without TONS of air bubbles, i tried to fill it like 3 times before i got frusterated and quit. is there a trick to gettin this stuff in there, should i try dish soap instead would that be easier, give me some hints, and damn the hex head screw on the tps:banghead

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
dunkchamp55 said:
damn the hex head screw on the tps:banghead
That's what I thought a while back.. next thing I grabbed that little handy tool with a mini grinder thing on it and now a normal screwdrivers fits :devious

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm thinkin im gonna grab the dremel today and take care of that little thing insider there as well........anyone have any advice on the oil thing? i used the clear tube like a straw and i would get some oil in then a burst of air bubbles......and like a dumb ass i figured i would just mess with the TB screw without the guage so i dont know where they are at now.....grrrrrr im an idiot

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i was thinkin about that but i already got all the crap for the ghetto tool i was just too rushed last night to try to fix it after i couldnt get the damn tps adjusted....off to the hardward store for some new bits

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
dunkchamp55 said:
......and like a dumb ass i figured i would just mess with the TB screw without the guage so i dont know where they are at now.....grrrrrr im an idiot
:doh

Oh the humanity!!!

Maybe a PM to Doug... I bet he could help you out.

Hey Doug, you still like that steel ball sync tool you got from Zuki? I might buy one.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Why don't all of you pitch in and buy one and pass that bitch around? Even better someone should buy one and then rent it out cheap...

I would loan you guys my gauges but really they are not easy to use -better off with the recommended.

Why not have a TLZ tool box -we could all donate and check out the tools. Maybe you have to have a post count of 500 or better and leave a deposite that you get back when it is returned?

·
Registered
451 Posts
i bought the same vacuum guages that chucks_net got form HF but instead of using those roach clips i went to a pet shop and got some valves, a T fitting and air line going to use it like that and when i ordered the guages thay cost $12.99 then i got a catalog in the mail and thay were on sale for $6.49 HF refunded me the money with just a phone call that is why i like HF

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
tv1000s said:
i bought the same vacuum guages that chucks_net got form HF but instead of using those roach clips i went to a pet shop and got some valves, a T fitting and air line going to use it like that and when i ordered them thay cost $12.99 then i got a catalog in the mail and thay were on sale for $6.49 HF refunded me the money with just a phone call that is why i like HF

TV -got pics of those pet shop type reducers...

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Mine looks something like this:

This first version used ethylene coolant, but it gave a bit too jerky readings. I emptied it and refilled it with a thin engine oil. I refilled it at a lower lever as well to minimize the risk of sucking it into the engine.

I've had no problems with bubbles in the oil at all. I poured the oil down the U tube on my tool and then mounted the valves and the thinner hoses.

·
Registered
451 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I made one of These

I don't have any pics right now, but there should be enough info there to make it. This may be a better option than the oil filled tube since you you're probly not even close to sync now and the oil will likely quickly get sucked into one of the TB's.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
wylee said:
I made one of These

I don't have any pics right now, but there should be enough info there to make it. This may be a better option than the oil filled tube since you you're probly not even close to sync now and the oil will likely quickly get sucked into one of the TB's.
now that's a good idea. how easy was that?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Helmet_Hair said:
now that's a good idea. how easy was that?
It was very easy. The only problem I had was finding glass bottles that had small enough tops to fit the biggest rubber stopper my local home depot had.

1 Coil of 1/4" OD stiffer plastic tubing (the more flexible type won't go through the stopper very easy)
2 rubber stoppers
2 glass bottles

The whole thing took me about 10-15 minutes to throw together once I had the parts.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
wylee said:
I made one of These
Clever. Really clever. No risk sucking oil or any other fluid down your tb's.

One thing though... If you follow the instructions in the TB sync video, are the vacuum levels equal at the two nipples or should one need adaptor nipples attached to the TB nipples?

One should at least make sure one uses equal length and size hoses to attach to the TB's to make sure the vacuum measurement is correct.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Octofinger said:
Clever. Really clever. No risk sucking oil or any other fluid down your tb's.

One thing though... If you follow the instructions in the TB sync video, are the vacuum levels equal at the two nipples or should one need adaptor nipples attached to the TB nipples?

One should at least make sure one uses equal length and size hoses to attach to the TB's to make sure the vacuum measurement is correct.
The video uses a vacuum gauge that measures the volume of air being drawn; the tubes and bottles are showing the differnce in pressure between the TB's. The size of the nipple greatly affects the volume but not the pressure.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
wylee said:
The video uses a vacuum gauge that measures the volume of air being drawn; the tubes and bottles are showing the differnce in pressure between the TB's. The size of the nipple greatly affects the volume but not the pressure.
Of course. You're so right.
Since tools like the bottle version above or my ghetto tool is a closed circuit, nipples shouldn't matter at all. Thanks.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You could buy a decent one for $60 and then always have it for your TL Friends to borrow :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts