TLZone Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you all running for spocket teeth front and back. I am going to be getting new chain/sprockets in the spring. I am running stock gearing and was wondering if there are better ratios out there. I dont mind losing a little speed seeing I am never going to go 160 mph, ever. I wouldn't mind some more off the line power. Makes for a more exciting ride in my opinion. I dont think i have ever gone over 100mph. I am a lot more responsible than i used to be. The fastest I have ever gone was 160ish on my old 2003 cbr 954rr.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
2 teeth up on the rear on the TLS works nicely. I'm sure it'll be the same on the R. On the S this works with the stock chain length putting the spindle close to the front in the swinging arm.
TLS is 17/38 stock. A busa rear sprocket is 40 teeth.
TLR stock is 17/39. I'm not sure what bike might have a 41 rear.any bigger and you may need to add a couple of links to the chain.

Reactions: 10Ryogi

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Try running only 5 gears. If you don't miss 6th, then that's the jump you can play with. I think 17:43 is absolutely wonderful. Never in my life have I ridden something that goes through the gears with so much ease.

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add that when I went with the new ratio, I changed both chain & sprockets from the 630 size to a 520. This has been more than adequate for my riding.....plus, less rotating inertia.
when you did the 520 conversion, what bike did you get the sprockets and chain from? I wouldn't mind doing that.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
when you did the 520 conversion, what bike did you get the sprockets and chain from? ......
Some chain companies make 'conversion kits' for various bikes. I used one from Driven. This brand is available through a vendor on the forum known as "speedking." He is an excellent resource for many things TL and offers a discount to members.

He can be reached @speedking in the member search,
or on Facebook as Sean Paul,
or his website is Welcome to Speedking MotoWerx....where 2 is better than 4!

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some chain companies make 'conversion kits' for various bikes. I used one from Driven. This brand is available through a vendor on the forum known as "speedking." He is an excellent resource for many things TL and offers a discount to members.

Awesome thank you, you are always a huge help. I really appreciate it. BTW, the exhaust fits absolutely amazing and sounds so much better. The clamps worked just fine mounting to the stock location.

·
Super Moderator
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,754 Posts
.... BTW, the exhaust fits absolutely amazing and sounds so much better. The clamps worked just fine mounting to the stock location.
Excellent! 👍
I'm glad they are working for you. Post up photos some time to show others how aftermarket clamps can be fitted to a TLR.

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts

We are going to be having an early Black Friday sale start pretty soon on chain/sprocket kits. DM me for more info!

·
Registered
2003 TL1000R
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one more thing, if i do decide to change the gearing, how hard is it to install the speedo healer? Ive seen a few videos and it doesn't seem to complicated. How far off will it be if i went with the 17-41? I will definitely need to do it seeing i don't want my mileage to be messed up, I am a stickler when it comes to that kind of stuff. I am just wondering.

·
Premium Member
4,834 Posts
one more thing, if i do decide to change the gearing, how hard is it to install the speedo healer? Ive seen a few videos and it doesn't seem to complicated. How far off will it be if i went with the 17-41? I will definitely need to do it seeing i don't want my mileage to be messed up, I am a stickler when it comes to that kind of stuff. I am just wondering.
You can do the math but going from OEM gearing to 17/41 does not significantly change your speedo accuracy. Best part is that your speedo will show you are going faster than you actually are.

Speedohealers are not difficult to install if you want your mileage spot on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts