TLZone Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, i am replacing all parts in the tank cause my Tl is really running poorly becauseBlocked fuel filtèr. But while the bike is stripped i noted that the previous owner fiddled with the gear position wires, is this ok? I believe my TL is restricted that probably the reason the previous owner did this mod....guys is this ok to run my bike like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
It is best to keep the Pink wire of the GPS connected. The ECM reads the resistance value of the GPS, which varies according to the gear that is selected. In turn the ECM selects fueling based on the GPS values.

This link takes you to a diagram on SteveTLS' page showing the OEM configuration of the GPS.
http://wotid.com/tls/images/ssatre/standard_gps.jpg

Since the pink wire is already cut, this would be a good opportunity to install a 6.8K ohm resistor in series to produce a simple form of a TRE. This would eliminate the retarded timing built into the ECM in the first three gears.

See Steve's explanation at:
http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/36/23/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help bud. If i install that resistor wil it cause my TL to over fuel in any way?
When it idles? Sorry for all the questions

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Thanks for your help bud. If i install that resistor wil it cause my TL to over fuel in any way?
When it idles? Sorry for all the questions
Questions are good.....

The fueling will be fine. Well, since I don't how well the fueling is currently set up, I should say this TRE mod will not change it. However, the engine run differently in the upper rev range in the first three gears - due to the change in ignition timing. Of course, that is also assuming that the GPS is reporting the correct resistance values.

The nice part about installing the resistor in series (instead a shunt configuration from the pink wire to ground) is the neutral map will remain unchanged, so it should idle fine (if the TPS and TB balance are set).

Be sure the clutch switch is connected and functional. Some have bypassed that switch for the sake of convenience, but that is not a good idea, as it affects the fueling when in gear and the revs are below 3K rpm.

:tillis

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx bud. I finished today installing the new pump and filter, resistor and sounds different.
But i have another question, ive checked my ECU number on steves TL pages and found that its 1997 Japanese restricted model? Could this really be true? Even the 2 wires from the GPS is pointing that way? How can i be certain buddy?

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
..... ive checked my ECU number on steves TL pages and found that its 1997 Japanese restricted model? Could this really be true? Even the 2 wires from the GPS is pointing that way? How can i be certain buddy?
I suspected it was a '97 when I saw that 2-wire GPS connector.

A few other things that can help you identify it as a '97 engine are listed below (if it is in more or less OEM trim).

• The '97 heads have oval/round intake ports. Whereas the '98+ models have "D" shaped intake ports.
  • The GPS has a 2-wire connector, and not 3-wire.
  • The crankcase breather does not have the kidney shaped collector between the engine "V" and the airbox. Just a tapered hose between the two components. Also, there is no breather vent hose on the rear valve cover on a '97.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow Thanks. What u mentioned there described my TL. Thank u for the help. I did that mod and now its a different animal. I am really pleased with the outcome. Again thanks alot
Wikus

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
It is best to keep the Pink wire of the GPS connected. The ECM reads the resistance value of the GPS, which varies according to the gear that is selected. In turn the ECM selects fueling based on the GPS values.

This link takes you to a diagram on SteveTLS' page showing the OEM configuration of the GPS.
http://wotid.com/tls/images/ssatre/standard_gps.jpg

Since the pink wire is already cut, this would be a good opportunity to install a 6.8K ohm resistor in series to produce a simple form of a TRE. This would eliminate the retarded timing built into the ECM in the first three gears.

See Steve's explanation at:
http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/36/23/
Thanks 6Five, I'm glad I've left all that stuff online. I bought my TLS in 99 and sold in it 06 ;)

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Thanks 6Five, I'm glad I've left all that stuff online. I bought my TLS in 99 and sold in it 06 ;)
Good to hear from you Steve! :cheers

Well, it's about time that you pick up another TL. Isn't it? :devious

Actually, THANK YOU for posting and maintaining that TL data! It gets referenced a lot! Plus, I'm sure hundreds have downloaded the manuals from your site.

Don't be a stranger. :tillis

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The resistorr i put in i believe is not ok,cause my tl in the first 3 gears dont go past 7k revs when riding. Must i try a different resistor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts