TLZone Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 97 tl1000s. The fairing is beyond stitched together so im Looking to turn it into a streetfighter type instead of buying new plastics.. personally I like the naked front end.. When deleting the gauges and lights (for now) I noticed the cluster itself runs some of the nessisary electronics to start and ride. Anyone have any advice on how to delete what's not nessisary?

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,441 Posts
Welcome to the forum LooseMoose1.

Actually, the instrument cluster does not need to be connected for the engine to start and run.

However, the cluster does provide the convenient option to read any error codes that may occur.

If your TLS is not cranking over or starting, it has other issues than merely the disconnected instruments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you both! Saved that diagram instantly. This is my first project bike. Little rusty on parts and important stuff lol. Bike runs great and look forward to the experiences that are in the making. I figured out it's the fuse box that's wired kinda parallel with the cluster. Gonna look into removing it tomorow. Looking for a not so permanent method of extraction. I don't want to just cut the dash wires because I want to plug and play for any dash lights in the future. Need a detachable plug between the two? Is that a thing? Lol. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1998 TLS; 2001 TLR; 200X TLRSF
4,441 Posts
..... Looking for a not so permanent method of extraction. I don't want to just cut the dash wires because I want to plug and play for any dash lights in the future. Need a detachable plug between the two? Is that a thing? Lol. .....
I guess I'm not quite clear on what you are asking here. The instrument cluster already has a connector on the back side. It can be unplugged and removed.

Or are you suggesting to install a connector on the fuse box so it can be disconnected from the loom? If so, be sure to use quality connectors with terminals large enough to handle the associated current.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally found the connection piece behind the rubber sleeve. I didn't think the cluster detached for a while. Slowly getting to know the bike a little better lol. But thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts