TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i think everyone across america has noticed the dramatic drop in fuel prices, so i was just curious if the rest of the world (especially europe) has been seeing this drop in price. where im at in san jose california, its down to $2.35. about where it was when we first saw the increase. i heard in tulsa,OK was reported at a astounding $1.99. how much is it in YOUR backyard?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
No idea, haven't bought gas since the middle of last summer:banghead

·
Registered
170 Posts
here in yuma premium is about 2.70 or so...in my hometown of akron ohio, my mom said that she has seen them as low as 1.99 as well. and bikepilot, how the hell have you not bought gas since the middle of last summer????? military?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Student in a geographically small town and zero time to do anything but school related stuff so far this semester. I ride a bicycle around town (mostly to/from class/library).

·
Registered
132 Posts
it has dropped alot over here in the UK. cheapest i have seen is about 94.9p ($1.50ish i think), better than £1.20 odd that it was a couple months ago :)

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
got to a high here of about $4.19 for regular, is now sitting at $2.03 for regular just 2 months later

just need diesel to drop now too :coocoo

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
I had a thread no so long ago about this but never fear opec is cutting back production and gas will soar once again. it took a month longer for it to finally come down in my hometown to the lows it's at now.

$2.00 here in most places some higher. I saw it as low as $1.95 in northern Va this weekend just before the West Va line, actually, it may have been in West VA. At Charleston Races and Slots it was $2.49 and people still buying it even though across the street was $2.09 :coocoo

By the way. I was paying about 70.00-80.00 per vehicle (4) a month. Now I pay 40-55.00 per vehicle. A big difference. I personally hope the economy says like it is for a while. It's helping me for now.

However OPEC and the rich will make sure the stock market climbs substantially once Obama takes office in January if not before. Those liberals want him to look good so a bounce back in the econ and markets it will be. Just wait and see.

·
Retired Admin
1,766 Posts
I saw $1.79 locally this morning. The station down the street from my house has been selling gas for $1.82 for the past 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
However OPEC and the rich will make sure the stock market climbs substantially once Obama takes office in January if not before. Those liberals want him to look good so a bounce back in the econ and markets it will be. Just wait and see.
Actually, the desire to try and stabilise the oil price is to try to salvage the economies of countries which are currently a little too dependent on it. For example, Russia is a huge oil producer, and while the price has been high a few too many of their people have based their financial moves on oil futures. The price has already halved in recent times. If it were to plummet another $30 a barrel, Russia would apparently go into depression and many many poor folks would have a really hard time. I think we can cope with a slightly slower drop in our fuel prices to help them out a bit? Nah I guess it must be some fat cat Saudi oil baron needs another diamond covered Gulfstream...

Also, a little satisfaction on my part as in one of those old threads where everyone was saying the price was never gonna come back down again, I predicted a drop.. yay me :)

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
The world economy is undergoing a dramatic downturn. No big news there. Demand for everything is down. Circuit City went belly up and GM is next. Up to 3 milllion jobs may be lost if GM and Chrysler go broke. It is to the point where the Big 3 CEOs went and begged Nancy Pelosi on their hands and knees for bailout money. You know things are bad when that happens. Oh the humanity...

Yes, they are probably too big to fail and will receive "bailouts" but the auto industry is so far gone I don't know if the US can print enough money to help them. IMHO government intervention can only prolong the inevitable. It truly is a shame.

Enjoy the cheaper gas as it is the one good thing that comes from all this. 2009 is going to suck for the average person pretty much anywhere in the world, big time. The era of living on borrowed prosperity is coming to a sharp end. Lots of divorces going on in my neighborhood as of late - many due to financial stress no doubt.

What we are seeing is an economic event of historic proportions. I think we are only in the 2nd inning. Say hello to the "credit card crisis" next at bat in this economic ballgame from hell. Already the credit card companies are hiking rates (as if they were not raping their customers enough already) and tightening credit limits.

Mmm. Bummer mood today! Better watch some funny TV tonight and lighten up :lol

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
couldn't have said it better myself. I have the Paypal buyer credit - just like a credit card - and they too slashed my credit line. WTF is that :coocoo I'm always on time, always pay more than the minimum, never go over, etc, and they slashed my line :kicknuts I tried calling to find out why, but after being on hold for 30mins I said fu*k it. My credit cards havent gone up - yet.

My parents and my wife's parents both had their rates skyrocket to like 29.9% :coocoo so they both told the CC companies to stuff it and closed their accounts. Same thing, never late, always propmt, etc. Usually the cc companies will at least try to get you to remain a customer, but in both cases they just said "see ya later".

Yea I'm enjoying cheap gas too (especially at 10-12MPG :banghead) but is it worth it to get f*cked on everything else? :O

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
190 yen/litre at the worst, down to 140-ish now ...

We don't pay interest on credit cards here :2finger it's a very weird system ... mind you, the HP on my bike was something shocking like 8% and the bike shop manager couldn't apologize enough :laugh I was dude it's 3x that back home can I get a second bike too :lol mortgage and investment interest rates here are below zero :dowhat

·
Registered
117 Posts
I saw fuel for $AUSD 1.12 per litre the other day :) cheapest I have seen it for maybe a year?? It has been way up around $AUSD 1.40 +++ plus more for the BP Ultimate that I use for my Babyblade. I just run the cheapo ethanol in the Astra (Opel).

Low fuel costs are a welcome change in Australia. Hope we see cheap fuel at Christmas, it would be awesome - I am on holidays & will want to go for some nice laps down the gold coast hinterland :devious

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
The auto industry and lots of others that have been proped up by govt protection and subsidies were bound to give the economy a smack-down sooner or later. The sad part is they were supported because supposedly allowing the market to decide what we produce was too cruel a mistress, even if more efficent and gdp maximizing, we just couldn't stand the pain associated with inefficent producers going under to make room for more competitive enterprise in other sectors. Now rather than the gradual and predictable market-induced changes we've got huge, sudden changes and a lousy economy to boot.

due to extreme collusion among law firms (any other industry would get slapped with antitrust suits by the DOJ in a heartbeat), wages are pretty much fixed so it won't likely affect me much (might result in fewer raises in years to come I suppose). If gas stays cheap it will be a good thing for me as I want to do some flying when I graduate and that's going to burn anywhere from 7-20gph depending on what I end up flying around in and how much I play with the throttle.

Ever notice that the same folks that complain about lack of capital right now were complaining about the current account surplus (aka trade deficit) just a few months ago? There's no pleasing some people:laugh

·
Chief Moderator for my kids Julia & Kristen,
5,503 Posts
Now rather than the gradual and predictable market-induced changes we've got huge, sudden changes and a lousy economy to boot.
That, in a nutshell, is the problem with too much government meddling with the economic cycle. The tech bubble was addressed by ultra low interest rates. That softened the blow back then, but the delayed consequences are in no small part leading to the global economic superstorm we face now.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts