TLZone Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know why there would be gas entering the oil of a 2001 TLS. The oil level has risen and has gotten lighter in color and thinner. It blows all over the bike from the breather also. Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
623 Posts
When you stop the bike and switch it off do you blip the throttle? I was told by a developer in South Africa that is a big NoNo as the bike does not burn all the fuel that very instant and it is left in the combustion chamber. No with the bike off the Gas runs past the pistons into the oil. Not sure if the amoount of gas you have would be justified by that.

This is what I have been told. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
That is not too common for a later model TLS... :confused

Do the bike run low temped? You should have the temp up and over 178°F (=80°C) when the bike is warm. If it runs cold, it runs on the warm map injecting too much fuel and the unburnt fuel is pressed down into the oil. Common on -97 spec'ed TLSes, but not on the later models.

Make sure your air filter is clean. A clogged air filter could cause the bike to run rich.

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
How does it start? No big puff of black smoke and rough running for a bit?

If an injector is leaking, fuel might be able to flow from the return line to the fuel rail and let the injector drip, into the bore and slowly seep past the rings into the case. :dunno

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be running rich. I let it warm up to about 120F befor I ride. I never use the choke, I just let it idle low untill it works itself out. there is no smoke that comes out when I start it, and it runs normal temp 180-200 F.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
It could be running rich. I let it warm up to about 120F befor I ride. I never use the choke, I just let it idle low untill it works itself out. there is no smoke that comes out when I start it, and it runs normal temp 180-200 F.
That "choke" is no choke...

This bike has injectors, not carburettors(sp?), so that lever on the left grip is simply a rev raiser, like giving it some throttle. Nothing more than that, so you shouldn't be afraid to use it. When the bike is cold injection is controlled by the ECU to be slightly richer, so there is no need for a manual choke.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Letting it idle low could well be the cause of the fuel in the oil. Use the fast idle lever, its there for a very good reason.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like we have a consensus. I snpped the choke cable so will need to get a new. anyone know of a place or person?

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
any suzuki dealer will be able to get one easily enough. If you wanna order on line ronayers tends to have good prices and service in my experience. Oh and as everyone said, it is not a choke cable. Fuel injected bikes don't have chokes, the computer controls the mixture. The cable moves a small cam which holds the throttle plate open a touch to raise the idle. A choke is a plate that blocks the mouth of the carburetor to create greater vacuum and cause more fuel to get sucked into the motor on a carburated motor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
gas in the oil is caused by leaky injectors.the fuel system remains pressurized long after the fuel pump shuts off. damaged o-rings in the injector lets the fuel leak past ,collecting in the cylinder ,and leaking down past the rings.T.L.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Are you positive it's fuel? Maybe water/coolant leakin in through the head?

C

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smells kinda like fuel. I have an oil leak that comes from the air box. It also leaks fuel from some where under the tank. in the morning there are two spots: one under the foot of the kickstand that is definatly gas, and another under the generator cover smells kinda like gas but is to thick to be gas (left low). all this and the darn oil level keeps rising! WTF?
I think its time to rip it apart.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Leaky injectors. Just look down the TBs aand watch for a drip.

Or could be a clogged breather or kinked breather hose causing lots of blowby. But usually you'd see other leaks like at the pushrod seal, trans output shaft, water pump...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Leaky injectors. Just look down the TBs aand watch for a drip.

Or could be a clogged breather or kinked breather hose causing lots of blowby. But usually you'd see other leaks like at the pushrod seal, trans output shaft, water pump...
That is right on! there are leaks at the push rod seal and all over trans out. the breather goeas from the crankase to the upper left of the airbox right? there is lots of crap commin out of this area of the airbox too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts