TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Suzuki-authorized LBS try to hunt down the culprit for the low voltage in my charging system (14V at the rectifier but 12.8V just upstream of the battery); they swapped out the starter relay but no dice so they wound up wiring a shunt which took care of the problem, or at least that's what my understanding of the Japanese/diagrams indicated.

Anyway, they mentioned considering a new harness ($400USD!) but that Suzuki no longer makes the harness for the '97S. They could get one of the newer ones and adapt it here and there but those are also due shortly to be discontinued. Don't know if this concerns you or not but you might consider grabbing a spare harness if you can find the stock before they run out.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Wha-aat? I asked Moriyama RB about harnesses and IIRC, the TLR comes in 2 parts - headlight harness 10,000yen and body harness 15,000yen ... that was about 2 years back ...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no, I'm still here in Fukuoka, that's the main reason I posted--if JDM shops cannot source them it will only be a matter of time before they dry up world-wide. I just wanted to give folks a heads-up so they could grab a spare if they thought it wise. I am thinking of grabbing one from the states...

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had mine replaced here in Tokyo last August. I think it was around 35,000 yen (at that time about $350 U.S.) My shop recommended it because it was 11 years old (even though I had no probs. with it) and they worried about replacements.

·
The Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow Moderator,
15,415 Posts
Don't panic, just use the later loom and modify the Gear Position Plug, simple.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Honestly its not much of an issue to build a new one yourself with it still in place. Just go wire by wire. When you finish you'll have a superior product anyway.

I rewired about 3/4 of the loom in my 04' ZX10R when I turned it into a fighter, and that was just to tidy things up.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm with ya there. On the ZX I just bought the same gauge cable, soldered and used alot of shrink fit.

On the TL, I think I'd opt for finding a supplier for new pins and reuse the plug ends with better cable fit to them with the new pins.

It isn't a bargain fix or anything though. Just a possible solution if the harnesses are no longer available or if you just get sick of dealing with electrical gremlins.

·
Registered
11,918 Posts
Wouldn't be worried about the price, but the performance ...
I tried re-using pins in one or two non-essential plugs but couldn't get them open to remove the old wire without mangling them, and none of the plugs in stores here were similar. I ended up using the store-bought plugs both both sides of the plug ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts