TLZone Forums banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
ive decided to buy a set of zx14 wheels for my tlr anyone here done this mod?
Someone did for sure just can't remember who. But zx14 rims are not much of the weight saving upgrade. I think i remember someone saying that it weights around the same as oem rims. But you should use the search and i think youll find all the answers or atleast the members who could provude the correct info

Reactions: coxytlr

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Well, I'm happy to pitch this one in. GSXR1000 wheels. Not much to be gained in weight advantage but I think they look quite pretty.

On this bike the whole front end is gixer thou. Used one of Sam's spacer kits :)hail ) to get the forks in and fit the 320mm discs. The rear went pretty much straight in. That's also a gixer 1000 rear caliper. I did have a custom sprocket made to preserve the gearing as the gixer wheel uses 5 bolts for the rear disk vs 6 for the TL item.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Pqm7oEcUniMnR6X2N3SUlPeDBiRnNyUTd1dFliYUNHZnFJ/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Pqm7oEcUniM1pRdlI3Y3ZabGFqU0xuSmFhQXRxeFVNRkxF/edit?usp=sharing

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Got it figured out. All I had to do is trim the rear brake hanger, 1/8 of an inch. On the wheel side. Fit like a glove. Have a pic of what I trimmed, will post it later. Time for a ride. ;)

According to my calculations the chainline is over 6mm off. The rear sprocket on the gsxr is that much further out from the centre. What is generally accepted as a tollerance, I don't know but I think it's way too much.

Or his rear wheel wasn't a 1000k5/8 after all.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Right, so I've this 1000 k5/8 wheelset. The front is sorted, even down to the 32mm (TL) offset with 207mm spacing (Gsxr) thanks to Sam's golden fork chart. The rear, as mentioned above is a bit over 6mm out.

I really would prefer the right wheelset, but finding something to match is difficult. So once again I'm contemplating if it be acceptable the way it could be fitted. A 520 chain gives me approx 4mm extra clearance, so I could space the front sprocket out.

Then have the billet cush drive reduced from 13,7mm to 11,7mm thickness, to move the rear in. This would put the rear sprocket 2mm off the centre of the cushdrive bearing, which is 24mm wide.

Any thoughts on reducing the cushdrive width, and putting the front sprocket even further away from te bearing on the output shaft? (Edit stock spacer between sprocket and bearing is 22,20mm)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Scouring the interwebs for info, found this set of documents about the real racing wheels. These are 4,445 grams a set! Unpainted though, but front and rear 0,25" wider then on our bikes. Probably requires very special tires too match..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Loki, I want to put gsxr1000 rear wheel aswell, did you sort the sprocket gap out? Which spacers are you using? The TL ones or the gsxr ones?

·
Premium Member
6,855 Posts
Loki, I want to put gsxr1000 rear wheel aswell, did you sort the sprocket gap out? Which spacers are you using? The TL ones or the gsxr ones?

why don't you measure the TL wheel then measure the GSXR wheel - that will tell you the difference - then measure the sprocket carrier distance ...... etc, etc, etc........... man up and help yourself. You sound like a girlie with a broken high heel demanding someone carry you!

·
Registered
80 Posts
why don't you measure the TL wheel then measure the GSXR wheel - that will tell you the difference - then measure the sprocket carrier distance ...... etc, etc, etc........... man up and help yourself. You sound like a girlie with a broken high heel demanding someone carry you!
Thanks for your answer.

I don't have any accurate tool to measure that. Just a 1mm of error will make the wheel not spining or not being centered. As it has to be done several times on this forum, i wanted to go through the safe way.

I could help people with another mods, saving time and money, just wanted that, sorry for asking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've recently fitted GSXR L2 wheels to my TLS. Fitted a treat, although I had to reverse the rear sprocket to get spot on chain alignment. I had already fitted GSXR750 K5 forks and a modified GSXR750 K2 swing arm, which is 26mm longer (sorted handling a treat) The lighter wheels are also a tremendous improvement

·
Adrenaline Junky
2,688 Posts
I've recently fitted GSXR L2 wheels to my TLS. Fitted a treat, although I had to reverse the rear sprocket to get spot on chain alignment. I had already fitted GSXR750 K5 forks and a modified GSXR750 K2 swing arm, which is 26mm longer (sorted handling a treat) The lighter wheels are also a tremendous improvement
:worthless

Are you coming to Donington?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hiya, Yes I will be at Donington and will be doing the Parade. My name is Jim Morse and I should be there by late morning on Saturday. Give me a call on
my mobile if you want to meet for a chat. M: ************

·
Premium Member
6,855 Posts
..........................or you could look us up in our big Marquee next to the TL bike park and by the Suzuki stand? .............................

BTW,I would remove your mobile number if I were you, use the "edit post" button, you might end up with all sorts of weirdo's calling you at all hours.
After all, this is a public forum.

Use the Private Messaging system if you want to pass on personal info............

101 - 115 of 115 Posts