Did you not read any of this? :coocoo

:slaptlr

·
Super Mod,
3,567 Posts
04+ GSXR600
04+ GSXR750
05+ GSXR1000

Even though the GSXR1000 had radial brakes before the 600/750 it still used a conventional MC until 2005.

Piston size on the GSXR MC is 3/4" (~19mm).

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Originally posted TLS 11-18-2003 by Steve TLS
Great stuff Stingray. :cheers

I'd better do something about this thread now :devious
So. How's it going Steve? :devious

·
Registered
697 Posts
This is sorta on/off the subject, but what the heck...

I'd like to upgrade my '98 gen 1 Bandit 1200 to 6-piston calipers, and am under the impression that calipers fitting the TLR/S will fit my Bandit. Not sure where I heard that, maybe Fast Larry's site (that is currently down)? At any rate, does anyone know for sure if this is true? ???

A

·
0 Posts
Also the 91 and earlier GSXR1100 4 pots will bolt up to the TL. They spec the same as the Brembos(34mm/30mm). Not sure if they work as well ass the brembos though. I've got a set to experiment with that will probably go on after bike week. Only issue is using the TL's stock brake line setup. If you run two lines from the MC you would be good to go. If you run it the stock way you need to get a M10x1.0 banjo bolt long enough to run through the double line on the right caliper.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I can verify that the caliper bolt spacing is the same 90mm as the TLR, so that's an indication that it's possible the 1st generation Bandit 1200 can wear the same 6-pots that the TLR does. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Just been told by a bloke that races his TLS, that you can use the small master of your TLS with braided lines and the six pots.Although this gives a slightly spongy feel, it gives a better mechanical advantage and therefore a stronger brake. Makes sense as you are pushing less fluid for the same amount of lever travel.
Can't vouch for this but it sounds right and might be worth a try if you already have the braided lines and no big master.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got a braking set from RSV: brembo radial, steel hoses, triple bridge calipers. They are not so light, I think that calipers R1/R6 style are lighter and as stiff as these ones... I need now to build the adapters for TL or mount them directly on my other SV744, which has a RSV complete front :-D

·
Registered
62 Posts
What I've got is a radial M/C from the K5. On the standard TLS 4 potters they work very well indeed. I just aquired 6 potters and when I put them on they become spongy as hell. Lever comes all the way back to the bars and yes, I bled them very well.Can anybody help??:O

·
Super Mod,
3,567 Posts
tlamb69 said:
What I've got is a radial M/C from the K5. On the standard TLS 4 potters they work very well indeed. I just aquired 6 potters and when I put them on they become spongy as hell. Lever comes all the way back to the bars and yes, I bled them very well.Can anybody help??:O
I run the same Nissin radial on my TLS w/ 6-pots and a Brembo 19x18 radial on my TLR. Run now I like the feel of the Nissin MC over the Brembo unit because it is not as 'spongy'. On the flip side the performance I'm getting out of the Brembo unit is remarkable; it's just the static feel that leaves a bit to be desired (right now).

My Nissin MC does NOT reach all the way to the bar. It has some initial play to it but quickly tightens up and offers far better performance then I felt from the 5/8th TLR master.

When it comes to bleeding I've found it pays to come back some time after the initial bleed and do it again. I've also found a mix of conventional bleeding and suction bleeding helps. When you come back for the second round of bleeding, tap the calipers with the handle end of a screwdriver prior to starting. Once you’re satisfied with the calipers then bleed the MC. That damn thing traps more air than I realized. I use a clear line from the reservoir to the MC and see small bubbles coming up quite often when I thought they'd already be out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well if I missed it, let me know, but why would someone remove the stock 6 piston calipers from their TLR to replace them with 6 piston models from another bike? What's wrong with the stock ones?

·
Super Mod,
3,567 Posts
S2L,

Most people swap the TLR 6-pots out for the gold ZX12 or Busa calipers. It's only really an aesthetic upgrade for the TLR.

·
Registered
601 Posts
what about Yamaha Calipers? They look completely different than the other Big 4 companies.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
If the spacing matches, the R7 and early R1 calipers should work.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
181 Posts
The spacing matches not i think, as far as i know the Yamaha calipers, though they shall be very good, have a spacing from about 100 mm's.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts