TLZone Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I removed my S's Hinkle clutch cover to install Van's ring and perform a couple of mods on the clutch (pics when I get finished with it)

I thought that since the o-ring was not replaced with a new one when I initially installed the clear cover on the bike a couple of years ago, it would be a good idea to buy a new one now.

There I go to the stealer (actually he's an individual importer -thus better prices- the official dealership are mor expensive) and I ask for the o-ring.
I will have it on Tuesday -it wasn't available on the spot- and he informs me that this ****ing thing costs 13.50 Euro :banghead
I ordered it as it is necessary if I don't want to open the cover again in the future (precaution only as I didnt have any leaking problems) but I wanted to compare USA's prices on that.....

Ronayers.com and he lists two different o-rings

a) Parts found with Part Number: 11484-02F00
Description O-RING,CLUTCH C
Price $12.49

b) Parts found with Part Number: 11484-02F10
Description O-RING, CLUTCH
Price $11.19

WTF?
Different prices for almost the same part? :O I think the newer one is more expensive :laugh

FYI 13.50 Euro is US$18 :coocoo

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The 00 part is for a 97, it is thinner, if you use a Graves cover you need that one. The o-ring is good for a long time, lots of uses if you are careful. :coocoo

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
The Hinkel cover needs this O-Ring: 11484-02F10

The other one is the 97 version and too thin. It will never work. I wish the previous owner/mechanic of my race bike saw this as well... but he must have been blind.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OldTLSDoug said:
The 00 part is for a 97, it is thinner, if you use a Graves cover you need that one. The o-ring is good for a long time, lots of uses if you are careful.
Yeap, I know the difference between them. But yet this doesn't explain the price diff, especially when the thicker one (more material :) ) is cheaper :laugh

The Hinkel cover needs this O-Ring: 11484-02F10

The other one is the 97 version and too thin. It will never work. I wish the previous owner/mechanic of my race bike saw this as well... but he must have been blind.

Greetings
Rufer
Hmmmmm.... Mine works fine....
I have the 97 S and when I bought the cover I didn't replace the o-ring. I just put it in with some gasket glue and no problemo.
The reason I bought the new one was just to avoid opening the cover again IN CASE it leaks using the 7 year old o-ring......
By the way, what I ordered is the new version F10... :)

·
Banned
5,308 Posts
Heat is what really kills rubber, that clutch cover does not see much.

On the other hand, those stupid doughnuts that seal the cam cover bolts, they always get cooked and turn to shit. And you need 8 of them. I might have to make something to replace those, maybe aluminum bolts that are o-ringed.

·
Scooter hottie chauffeur
4,663 Posts
Yeap, I know the difference between them. But yet this doesn't explain the price diff, especially when the thicker one (more material :) ) is cheaper :laugh

Bet they don't make the old ones any more and it's more expensive, because it's more rare, or expensive to stock or some such.

the "timing" tab, or that little locator tab on the O ring is in a different spot on the 97S vs 98+ Orings. 97S locator tab is on the inside facing into the cover, the 98+ is in a different location and facing out.

97S locator tab location (note oil fill hole location)

98+ locator tab location (note oil fill hole location)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think you are just being charged the iimporters handling costs.

When I first came to Japan, I was amazed to find that Suzuki parts were 20-25% cheaper here than in New Zealand

Imagine my delight when I found that Honda parts were 33% cheaper. Not only was Blue Wing Honda NZ ripping their customers off, but it reinforced in my mind that Honda, like Harley Davidson, makes all its money from parts.

FYI, my RG, RGV, GSXR and TL all seem to have common parts. The NS400s I have had experience with had asstd diffeent parts for '85 '86 and '87. Oh and see how many differnt sprokets there are for CB250s.

Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ive ordered a o ring for my clutch cover for 4 weeks ago, the day after I got a new one because there were 2 different for the 00 engine. One of them (cannot remember which) hasnt the same thickness all the way around! Infact it wont fit right down to the cover because that it has some knotches/bumps were the bolts are, so it wont fit right!
Its had for me to explain :( iIll take a picture of it. I got a F10 and a F00 in my garage. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts