TLZone Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching the net but cant find anything re motorcycles,not looking for anything for the TL but has anyone come across one thats small enough to fit on a bike?

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
a std fuel filter will stop water . the screen is fine enough. On the tl the in tank filter will stop the water. so external seperator will not see water.
preventative maintenance would be an egg cup full of metho in the tank every couple of months.

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
Also water being heavier than fuel you aren't going to be burning any water untill you've got a quart or so in the tank I suspect. Biggest concern with water in the tank would be rusting out the bottom of the tank. Keep the tank full of fuel when the bike is in storage and you should be good to go:thumbup

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea just been through the hassles with rust holes caused by water in my tank,i was just asking about the separator after seeing a post on a local forum regarding them,guy with a carbed GSX or similar has had a couple of bad fillups and is sick of draining out water,couldnt find one locally so thought one of you guys might have seen such a thing.

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
once the water gets into a tl tank it wont get out because of the in tank filter. you won't pump it out because of the in tank filter. you cant drain it out because the tank doesn't drain completely unless you remove the pump assy . (i've tried)
best way is to add metho.
methylated spirits has a property which makes water miscible ( i think that' sthe spelling) in other words the water disolves /mixes with petrol in its presence.

so the water is disolved in the petrol and just passes thru the system like it was never there.

I run metho thru my vehicles on a regular basis.

FYI metho is ethanol with about 7% methanol mixed in. ( the methanol is added to make it undrinkable, ) (supposedly undrinkable).

Which reminds me of a mate of mine's cat...

we were cleaning bike parts in petrol when the cat came along and took quite a substantial drink of the petrol..

next thing its racing round like a mad thing, going llike a hundred miles an hour..

then it just stoppped ..........

must have run out of petrol.... :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea mate will be using meths from this day forth,heres what happens from not doing so:banghead

·
Premium Member
24,892 Posts
:doh

So does the 10% Ethanol fuel the US is stuck with make this a non-issue?

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
not sure I think its the methanol that does the work.

I'd like to know myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts