TLZone Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fuel tank has started leaking around the seam.

There looks to have been an external repair job done with some putty by a previous owner and thats now gone porous and fuel slowly seeps through leaving a horrible orange/brown staining on the white paintwork of the tank.

Anyway of doing a more permanent repair without having to buy a replacement tank?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Cheaper & easier to get a S/H tank the same colour..

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Blow it out with a water blaster,there will be more holes than you can see then allow to dry and solder it up,been 2 years now without it leaking again.Whilst at it get one of those kits,3 stage kits that kill the rust and seal it up.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
How about that stuff called red cote???
Am asuming its the same as the stuff i was on about mate,comes as a rust killer then a sealer for the tank.Itried it on mine and it worked for about 2 days:bangheadThe problem is that if theres rust causing leakage a penny to a pound theres more to come in the same area,i started with 2 small holes after i blew it out there was a whole row of them not to mention what was to come round the pump hole.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funnily enough Mark, that area you've soldered near the seam is exactly where mine is leaking.

I've not noticed anything around the pump though, will check though.

·
Premium Member
29,792 Posts
Mark, Mike, what's an A and K between friends :laugh

·
Registered
196 Posts
My tank was very rusty as I bought the bike after it sat for 3 years. Used the kreem tank sealer and it worked great. The TL tank is big so the can of phosphoric acid that comes in the kit isn't enough to do the whole tank. I bought a gallon of Behr 991 (think) concrete etcher which is almost 100% phosphoric acid, used the whole gallon and filled the tank the rest of the way with water, took care of the rust fast. After that I used 2 of the kreem sealer pints just cause the tank is so big and its been working great for several months now. You can buy individual quarts of the sealer on ebay instead of buying a whole nother 3 part kit.

-Rob

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mike Ford I did the same to mine this last summer. It worked great....till yesterday. Went out to look at her and DAMN! Gas under the bike. I put my hand under the tank like so many times before. WET HAND! I'm thinking of selling, I love this bike but S$#T I cant take the fact that I will have to take the tank off again.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Mike Ford I did the same to mine this last summer. It worked great....till yesterday. Went out to look at her and DAMN! Gas under the bike. I put my hand under the tank like so many times before. WET HAND! I'm thinking of selling, I love this bike but S$#T I cant take the fact that I will have to take the tank off again.
Can understand that,ive a new tank coming via Japan,end of problem.

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Have to say I'd try to source another tank first, I can remember Slapper & jen' having no end of problems with a leaky tank on their Tiller-trike.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Ok now I'm thinking of trying POR 15 HD Motorcycle FUEL TANK REPAIR KIT. Anyone with any pros or cons?
Thats the stuff i used mate,works well as a sealer but if the damage is already done and the hole is big the stuff wont work or not for long,cant stress enough the importance of getting the tank blown out before doing anything as thats the only way of seeing the true extent of the damage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.