TLZone Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The 2nd ECM was an eBay unit
The reason I asked is with an eBay ECM you really don't know the history on it either. Even if the seller says "it came from a running bike" that's no guarantee that it is fully functional. Often, when the fuel driver transistor fails, riders will just jumper the fuel relay (Orange/Wht to Yellow/Red) so that the fuel pump runs whenever the key is on. The system works and it is rideable. Then when the TL get parted out, the ECM is sold on eBay as 'fully functional' because the bike was running, when it actually has a failed fuel output driver (for the Yel/Blu wire).

It is a possibility, but you won't know until you go through all the tests.

Problem is I have no history of this bike, ..... don't really want to do too much til I have the teething problems sorted.
Understandable.

Did you try the TOS test The Ring-In recommended?

·
Registered
13,113 Posts
If you are going street fighter I have most of the things you need for the conversion

the gauges are easiest using R gauges

I have dash panel and converters to suit

also have polished triples and handlebar setup etc

Get it running then let me know

Reactions: Hotspotuk

·
Registered
42 Posts
seems strange that the kickstand switch doesn't seem to do anything I mean with stand up or down the relay still clicks and engine turns over

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Replaced loom and the fuel pump primed, went for a cuppa and tried again and now bloody thing not priming again
So, you replaced the entire loom?

It is a good sign that the pump primed - at least once. That confirms the ECM is doing it's job.

Apparently, there is an intermittent open (or high resistance) in the circuit somewhere (if no error codes are showing up).

Can you verify that the ECM is being powered up consistently each time? (It's not showing "CHEC" in the LCD window, correct?)

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I don't have the original clocks to verify any error codes, previous owner fitted aftermarket speedometer
Oh yeah, how soon I forget. :coocoo

So then, without the ability to see the error codes, you are back to where you were before the loom change. It is acting as though the ECM is prevented from priming the pump due to a lack of sensor feedback.

Since you say the TOS is fine, the only other sensors that can inhibit the fuel pump command are the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor (IIRC). Check out those two circuits the best you can - all the way back to the ECM. You may even want to remove the rear cam cover to verify that the sensor pin has not fallen out of the cam. It has happened to others. :dowhat

·
Registered
42 Posts
UPDATE!!!!

Built bike back up again and now no spark or fuel pump so went back to testing everything with multimeter.
New regulator needed so that got installed and still no spark or fuel pump working. Tested and checked all connections then checked ignition switch with a problem there being no continuity between the White/Orange and Black/white wires so that's now on order and hopefully have it next week
New HT leads getting fitted and serviced with plugs and oil also

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
UPDATE!!!!
.... still no spark or fuel pump working. Tested and checked all connections then checked ignition switch with a problem there being no continuity between the White/Orange and Black/white wires so that's now on order ....
:confused How is it that you are expecting to see continuity between the Orange/White and Black/White wires when the Org/Wht wire does not enter the ignition switch? Or did you intend to say "Orange/Yellow" wire?

If so, know that there is 100 ohms resistance between the Org/Yel wire and Blk/Wht wire built into the switch when the key is in the ON position. It will not be a "zero ohm" connection.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Source of the problem after replacing the wiring loom was the ignition switch dry connections, I soldered the points again inside the switch and that was problem solved

Yup orange/yellow lol!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts