TLZone Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the tl scene
Just got myself a 97 TLS but a bit of a problem

If I ride the bike gently and sensibly its fine but as soon as I open her up + realy give it some the fuse for the puel pump blows.
But will rev right round if stationary or clutch pulled in under no load!

Ive been racking my brain for any ideas but no joy
Please help as Ive just started to ride it but cannot enjoy it yet

Many thanks

james

·
TLOTM Sept. '08
1,629 Posts
Correct size fuse? (10A)
Is your return hose kinked restricting flow back to tank?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Welcome:bigfinger

If your bike was manufactured before October '97, has it got the updated thermostat housing/temp sensor? It won't fix your current problems, but it is WELL worth doing. Check the lower left side of the radiator, if it's got a bolt in it, or nothing there at all :thumbup, but if there are wires going to a sensor, then here's the link:

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/frequent-tl-mods/49971-guide-97-tls-thermostat-problem.html

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,856 Posts
Sounds like a chaffed wire that is shorting out when the harness moves under certain conditions :dunno

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does a fuse blow? Or does your fuel pump just shut off and your bike die? If the pump just shuts off then I have a solution as mine tlr did the same thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for all the replies

Yes it is an early bike march 97, will check that one out, cheers

regarding connections went through it earlier + no connectors are loose, broken, green etc + all good
I think pump is ok as I disconnected fuel pipe at the tank end + put my thumb over the pump outlet, turned key on so it would simulate maximum strain on pump + didnt blow fuse.

and return hose isnt kinked or pinched

It definately blows the fuse instead of just cuts out!

realy bugging me now

cheers everyone

·
Registered
10 Posts
When my pump kept shuting off when reving i found that it was the fuel pump terminal on the front right by the tach. It wasnt that it was loose but that the pins in the terinal were bent a little. I simply bent them back with my finger and have had no problems since.
Try finding your fuel pump terminal (should be a small square box type deal no bigger than a match box) Try pushing down on it and seeing if the fuel pump reengages. If so its just bad contact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers gelfan will have a look + see,
Its not that the fuel pump just stops though, something is causing the fuse to keep blowing under a fair amount of load

will let you know the outcome

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have a mechanic throw a VOM on your stater and check the output. Might just be that simple.
Not sure if you knew this or not but, turn the bike on at night and rev it up a couple times. If the head light dims or get brighter than you have a stater problem. As with any alternator.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
right I dont know what the hell is happening

I chucked a battery off of another bike to start the tl when I got it + make sure it was alright which is when i found the fuse blowing problem
It was only a little ytx7 instead of a ytx12
I needed the right battery anyway so i went and got a new one put it on and the problem with the fuse is worse, I cant even make it to the end of my drive!!

Put the little battery back in + i can ride it as long as im gentle or the fuse blows

Any suggestions on that?

James

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
It sounds like the alternator is overcharging. get a voltmeter and put it across the battery. the voltage should not go over 13.8 -14.5. but if the regulator is not doing its job the voltage could be rising to the point that fuses are letting go.

first up. try pulling the wires from the alternator , run the new battery and take it round the block. this will isolate the idea of overcharging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts