TLZone Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 TL1000R - $6500 - Sydney NSW
The time has come to part ways with my TL. Believe me, it has not been an easy decision to make and I do it with a heavy heart. I simply do not have the time to complete the rebuild and as time goes on I am less interested.
I am the second owner of this bike, the first owner was a friend of mine who sold it to me 6 months after purchase due to hitting a financial brick wall. The bike was mint, I mean absolutely spotless. Looking at the pictures you would think that I have given it a hard time, but the truth is, the bike was a project to keep me in the garage when my wife fell pregnant (nearly 8 years ago) and has had very little use. The last time this bike was ridden was in 2002 with less than 17000Km’s on the clock.
Here’s a bit of history. I pulled the motor from the bike in 2002 with the intention of under-cutting the gears, boring it out and fitting some Vee-two cams. I never cracked a bolt on the engine other than to drain the fluids while it was stored.
At some point in time I scored a JMC Swing-arm from a member here along with an assortment of VAN’s bling. Included in this lot were Van’s Billet window clutch cover and 6 point pressure plate, Sprocket cover and 1mm swing-arm eccentrics. I also got an Ohlins Rear shock and an Ohlins Steering damper, both of which have had very little use.
My obsession with collecting parts had me spending far too much on spares like, headlights, gearbox parts, cylinders and heads (1 set of each) an AP mini rear calliper, Ti rotor nuts and Riflemans 1/5 throttle insert and Tech G (sato like) rearsets. These are all included in the sale price. In fact everything that I have that is for a TL is in the sale.
The frame was stripped bare and powder coated black along with the JMC swing-arm, sub frame, top clamp and various other parts.
I sanded the side panels in preparation for being resprayed, I just never got around to finishing them.
That brings me to today, I no longer have the time or drive to finish the build. I know I will miss having her in the shed but it is a realisation that I have been avoiding for a long time now. That’s the main problem. I don’t have a buddy network who can push me to keep going or help out when the heavy lifting is required and I`ve lost the motivation. I`d rather sell her for a loss and accept the reality of it all. At least by selling her, it will part fund the next bike that I can just jump on and ride. And that’s what I have missed most this past 5 years. Nothing to ride.
So here’s what’s in the sale.
After Market Rear Sets (Tech G)
After-market Undertail (Top Gun)
AP Mini Brake Caliper
Clear Clutch Cover (Billet – VAN)
ECU
Engine 16000 Km's (genuine)
Frame (Powder coated black) can be registered
Front Calipers
Front Cylinder
Front Forks
Front head
Front Seat
Front Wheel
Front wheel hugger
Galfer Braking Rear Rotor
Headlight
Headlight
Headlight bracket
JMC Swing Arm
Left Controls
Left side Fairing
Lower fairing
Lower radiator
Lower Radiator fairing
Ohlins Rear Shock
Ohlins Steering Damper
Power Commander 2
Rear Cylinder
Rear ducktail
Rear duck-tail
Rear Head
Rear Hump
Rear Seat
Rear Seat – spare VGC
Rear Wheel
Right Controls
Right Side Fairing
S/S Head Cap Bolts
Standard Exhaust Mufflers – 2 x pairs
Standard Swing Arm
Standard Undertail
Sub Frame – powder coated black
Tail Light
Throttle Bodies
Ti Rotor Bolts
Upper Fairing
Upper Radiator
Upper Radiator - spare
Van 1/5 Throttle Inserts
Van 1mm Ride Height Eccentrics
Van Clutch Basket
Van Sprocket cover
Wiring Harness
Yoshimura RS3 slip-ons – some rash

There is more than this list implies.
I’d rather sell the bike whole because it would make a great repairer. The whole bike is there, it just needs someone with time, friends who can help with the heavy stuff and some minor financial outlay. I don’t seem to have any of them at the moment. The things that I think money needs to be spent on are, paint, tyres, chain, sprockets, tuning, gauges (I have some but butchered them for the project many years ago), misc screws and rego.
I`m asking $6500 for everything TL I have. Even the TL1000R Banner I have hanging in the shed. Considering the number of spares and the small outlay to finish this bike (less than $2000), I believe that that is pretty cheap. A good example is currently selling for around $10k-$12K.
Now for you vultures out there.
If the bike doesn’t sell here, I will put it on Egay. Failing to sell there I will part it out, so DON’T CALL DIBS YET! I am not desperate for cash, so it can sit in the shed for another 10 years if need be, I will accept a decent offer, however I would want you to come and see everything that is included in the auction before making an offer. If you want to come and look, PM me with a phone number and real name (not screen name) so I can arrange a time to be home.
Any questions...ask. Pics of everything are available.

Attachments

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,855 Posts
Wow.

1 tonne is .98 ton for you imperial people in the UK or 1.1 ton for the US :laugh

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
jesus O2W you didnt have much time in the lst 7 years did you!!!

ps: wheres your mate david ??? not on yr avatar now??

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jesus O2W you didnt have much time in the lst 2 years did you!!!

ps: wheres your mate david ??? not on yr avatar now??
Mate, I`ve been flat out with work and study and that's half the problem.

Davey boy is still here somewhere

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
shannon has passed to the dark side.

now he's letting go of the R :banghead

gees mate next thing you'll be joining the TRG :doh :lol

·
Registered
13,114 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Dibs on the topgun undertail :devious

PM coming your way

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Shit sorry... I just saw the top gun undertail and had to jump on it....

Then i read the rest of it and saw the don't call dibs bit :banghead

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Missed it completely :laugh

Read the top half, saw top gun undertail and jumped :laugh

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Yerr , at the end of the day riding is what its all about! Thats the trouble with tl, it begs money to be spent on it ,just hard to know sometimes where to find the line :banghead good luck with your new venture mate :thumbup

·
Moderator,
8,234 Posts
What really has me confused is this, has his wife really been pregnant for 8 years?:confused

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Damn, if i was in Aus right now id prob have driven the 1000ks from the coast and taken it all off your hands :banghead Wonder what shipping would be for all that gear and bike

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
:eatcorn in case you decide to "part out"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts