TLZone Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tires are not stability rated, it's a speed rating. Not suppose to fail due to the heat and stresses of speed. Mis-match of tires is like wearing a leather loafer on one foot and a hiking shoe on the other foot. The geometry is just wrong. Sure they both fit, but may have issues when you push them. Straight line speed stability is screaming at you to set the bike up correctly. Tuff to diagnose any issue until you have a baseline and the bike setup correctly. Of course there could be something else worn, damaged or lose with the bike and the tire issue exacerbates the issue into your symptoms. Sure sounds like this garbage began with your change to the Shinko/Michelin combo. That's where I would be looking. Either put a Shinko on the front or a Michelin on the rear. Only then will you know if the stability returns. No need to alter sizes if you were happy with the handling of the 120/70 190/50-17 setup from before. Only if you are looking to change turn in or ride height would I change sizes. Go back to the base settings, I say....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I guess I will change the front tire since that seems to be the less expensive option of the two. The only reason I didn't go with the shinko for the front in the first place was that it had a perfectly straight groove down the middle that some people complained grabs on metal grate bridges and other similar surfaces, not that there are many of those where I live but still a few do exist and I didn't want to find myself in a creek after my tires got all squirrely on a bridge that I didn't know about.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The grove in the center of the 009 front is a tad old school, but should be a non issue. On the other hand our road system is/was not really designed with two wheels in mind. Rain grooves, tar snakes, storm covers, traction-less painted stripes, metal joints/seams. It's jungle out there...

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
well it (lower rear) reduces the rake and increases the trail so generally yes. But at high speeds sidewall stability becomes critical. But...it still really sounds even more like issues of balance or roundness. Maybe you threw a balance weight off? Or maybe you just got a bad tire with eccentric weight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I mean as far as I can tell my mechanic popped an old weight off and put on some new ones, I even asked him over the phone if he balances tires and he said yes. Next time I am in his neck of the woods I am gonna stop by and see if he will check the balance for me. Michelin power pilots are supposed to be good well balanced tires so I would rule out getting a bad tire as one of the last and more rare causes of the problem I am having.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ummm, Michelins are different from other manufactures in that they don't mark the light spot on their tires, so it can make mounting/balancing just a bit more interesting. Kind of a crap shoot if the installer hits it right. In my case that is me. It's not they don't need to be balanced, Michelins are usually pretty good, but if the heavy part of the wheel is on the same side as the heavy part of the tire, the weights can add up. Not that uncommon for me to break the bead again and spin the tire 90 to 180 degrees looking to add less weights. I like to get them as close as I can to not having any weights at all... not many paid installers take the extra time. Close is usually good enough with a spin balance machine. A static stand is the correct way to balance these wheels, if you have to have the best that is. The way teams balance race bike wheels down to a gnat's butt weight for more than 210 mph...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts