TLZone Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a TLR for a while but only since a few days I'm allowed to drive it. So what do you do.. drive it alot! But I found out it's very unstable in corners. Of course the rotary unit should be a doorstop by now but isn't.. yet.. Bitubo will be in next week!

But what I found strange is that I haven't really pushed the bike, well it feels that way, and I've bottomed the forks out allready? Probably only due to breaking! Is that normal for a TLR front end? Feels wrong to me tho.. As I'm really light and haven't even braked hard enough to get the rear up!

I thought it might have something to do with the oil level/air chamber being too small. But as far as I can see it's fine (don't have proper tools to get the internals loose). O-rings around top(adjust)nuts seem fine as well. Any input? the bitubo seller told me the stock spring should be fine because I'm only 72kg. And I've just read it's 0.95? while the seller told me 0.85..

The previous owner probably crashed because of the bad handling and I think he didn't really knew what he was doing. Worst case will be a wrongly rebuild fork..?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
You need to give the static and loaded sag numbers for the fornt end and the back end in order to figure out what needs to be adjusted.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, tomorrow I will come up with numbers! I think I can adjust the front end by myself, just wondered if it's functioning ok at the mo!

Have to check but it should be little under 30mm at the front with me on it (81mm of 110mm total travel)

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for today.. rode it again, haven't bottomed it out again. So I guess the airchamber is fine again after having a look at the forks yesterday. Actually the tie-wraps showed about 1,5~2cm of travel left which should be perfect!

Have been loosening the preload on the rear now too. But stupid stupid me I've measured dynamic sag compared to static sag which now is nearly 20mm. So will adjust that tomorrow and have another go!

Because I was checking the sprockets for number of tooth I found the chain a bit on the tense side. And I've read somewhere you shouldn't set them very tense on TL's. So gave it a bit more room to move as it might have interfered with the rearsuspension as well!

Today I've tried to get it to the edge a little more and the rearend stepped aside once.. but that could have been due to some dried up mud on the road... :laugh

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
take it easy... dont concentrate on getting it to the edge. just concentrate on being smoth and fast. getting it to the edge will just happen when the bike is well setup and your smooth and fast. if the setup is not quite right and your not quite comfortable then trying to get to the edge of the tire will end you up in a ditch

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with ya TomM..

Before the TL I used to trash a bandit.. I could really throw that around, keep up or be faster then supersports. Now I have one myself and I can't either! anoying!

But I'm taking it easy indeed because it will throw me off when I go to far! Now I have to say chickenstrips were gone first day but it's not yet accurate/solid like the bandit.

Now there's only one smiley to show how I felt yesterday :doh

As I found out my front tire pressure was just over 2 bar.. ok there I said it.. yes I'm stupid! Playing around with the suspension but not checking tire-pressure :coocoo However it did step aside on the back and someone told me the back was bouncy..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Loki-TLR said:
I'm with ya TomM..

Before the TL I used to trash a bandit.. I could really throw that around, keep up or be faster then supersports. Now I have one myself and I can't either! anoying!

But I'm taking it easy indeed because it will throw me off when I go to far! Now I have to say chickenstrips were gone first day but it's not yet accurate/solid like the bandit.

Now there's only one smiley to show how I felt yesterday :doh

As I found out my front tire pressure was just over 2 bar.. ok there I said it.. yes I'm stupid! Playing around with the suspension but not checking tire-pressure :coocoo However it did step aside on the back and someone told me the back was bouncy..
trust your judgement. if you think the bike is unstable and the rear is bouncing around then it is. fix the setup woes. the new shock should cure the rear woes. stick that in and let us know how the bike feels then and we can point you in the right direction.

the hardest thing about setting up the bike is not what does what but rather knowing what the bike is doung or not doing. stick the new shock in and let us know whats happening

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
another thing you should do is measure the wheel base of the bike and check the alignement of the wheels with a string or straight edge. if the bikes been crashed before it might have affected the geometry.

measure from axel to axel and compare with spec's and run a string around the back of the rear wheel and through to the front. compare the gaps itherside of the front wheel, they should be the same.

the bandit is very forgiving and easy to push. the tl needs to be setup right to push safely.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Loki-TLR said:
just over 2 bar would 30psi right? that shouldn't be a problem on a warm day. it'll make the handling slightly heavier but not unstable like you describe

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much for your input TomM!

I will check alignment although I can sit up straight and wave arms while the bike rolls straight so it can't be bad!

I've been doing some changes lately adjustment wise and I've loosened up the chain to guarantee free movement for suspension. Handling wasn't that bad anymore. But today I've put in the Bitubo and had a quick run around some corners nearby and it does again have a better feel!

Haven't had any time to try adjusting (work :boring) but the tires looked really good! Don't no how it's called in English but the tires 'Rullen' slightly

I'm still not completely fine with the front end as it dives as much as my bandit did (under braking). And that shouldn't hapen so I'll go out and check another TLR somewhere and/or get tools (made) to take the internals apart and have a proper look! Front fork feels slightly sticky as well so a rebuild may be comming up!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tornado said:
just over 2 bar would 30psi right? that shouldn't be a problem on a warm day. it'll make the handling slightly heavier but not unstable like you describe
Maybe it didn't feel right on my bike because of the slightly sticky front end. Making the tire eat the bumps instead. Sometimes it's like it is waving as if it's bouncing on tire pressure. Now mentioning.. someone recently had problems with shaking head on his bike? might be the same thing..?!

O, and ehm.. temperatures around here are around 20 degrees celcius (68 f) at the moment!

Yes 2 bar ~ 30psi!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
pressure was definitly 2 low. try 34 to 36psi.

start by returning your front forks 2 stock suspension settings and tell us how it feels.

also measure the amount your forks stick up above the triple clamps and let us know what that is.

do you know if the bitubo alters the rear ride height or does it have the same ride height as stock?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Last week I've upped tire pressure to around 2.45 bar and that would be around 35psi. I thought is was alot better but unsure if it could do with more but apparantly it's spot on now!

I've just measured forks stick throu and it's 7mm (0,28") or for the legs and 10mm (or 0,39") including the top caps. Rear is higher because stiffer spring/more preload. Unfortunatly I was in a hurry when fitting the Bitubo so I haven't weighed the shock or measure length :banghead But I might be able to find out the rear ride height! I've lowered pre-load on the rear by 1 entire revolution today but I still think it could do with more. Maybe I'll have another go after dinner.

Thanx again for input.. I'll be looking for some stock settings now!

[Edit]
stock fork stick through: 6.5mm (0,26")
stock pre-load is ring number 6
stock rebound is 6 clicks out from stiffest
stock compression is 5 clicks out from stiffest

Stiffer setup suggested is 4,25 / 3 / 2

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
well it looks like you have stock fork ride height and im fairly sure the bitubo does not alter the rear ride height signifantly (someone who's got one can correct me if im wrong)... so if the bike is still feeling unstable its not the ride heights cos standerd they are not unstable.

return your fork compression and rebound settings to standerd and most importantly set your preload front and back. then have a good ride and tell us how it feels.

you said you thought the front dived 2 much under brakes... sounds lke you need to increase the compression... but set the preload first!!!!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last few days I've not been adjusting much but now I've got time again. Today I've rode a bit again and I seriously think the front fork is feeling way to sticky to be good!

Probably ain't good for measuring sag as it won't move the same everytime if it moves at all? I sat on my bandit 6, which was a real long time ago, and it's so much more plush..!

Any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Get a friend or two to set sag. Set it about 30mm in the rear (35 if you want it a little softer) and 30 mm in the front. Also turn all the adjusters out fully Counter Clockwise and then set them the same number of clicks for each leg.

Than if it is still bad, pull them apart and check the oil and such.

Here is a link to my pictures of fork disassembly. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I wish I could do that straight away! But now I'm taking notice of the forks being sticky it makes more sense everytime I think about it. Just been in the shed again and really.. there's something wrong with them!

It's sticking so bad I can change sag just by pushing it in a little more as it won't come up by itself. I think I could create a difference of almost an inch without returning to it's sag..

So after that I've loosened up the 4 bolts on the lower legs to make sure there's no stress on the legs and it won't make a difference.

Could legs feel sticky right after a rebuild? Guess not but have to make sure for myself..

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well if being trying some things again..

Again I've loosened the front axle and tightened it up real gentle (ain't got a torquewrench :bitchslap) and I've completely undone the damping settings (no damping at all) which made the f-end feel a lot better, lot less sticky!

I was unsure about the viscosity of the oil in the forks. So I guessed it might be thicker, rendering the factory settings completely useless. So I started riding today with no damping on the forks at all and it actually didn't feel extremely bad! After a few stops I've increased both comp and reb and it feels much much more balanced now! (I think about 4 clicks on both, from completly out)

So yet again another lesson in suspension setup. Don't ever assume the 'right' viscosity fork oil is used on your secondhand bike! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts