TLZone Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I´m new here, and I like start with a question about my engine. It´s a TL-SV1000 engine, but mounted on VStrom. I think that question will be ok posted here.
Engine has 40.000 m., and runs fine (power, consumption...), but I´m noticeing a noise from front cylinder, that seems come from cover cam. It´s noticeable when it´s hot (about 5-6 minutes riding), and goes from 2500 to 3000 rpm (noticeable)... from 3000 to 4000 sometimes not as noticeable but it´s there, and from 4000 to 4500 rpm noticeable again (more that 4500, not audible with exhaust sound). You can hear riding. It´s a tick noise, seems valves, but no, since I checked and they are ok (in the middle of specs, and all seems ok under cover), and since cold doesn´t make noise as audible.
It seems a "sewing machine" when do it, tick is going with rpm (speed of noise). (curious... If I use other helmet I don´t ear it as clearly, and it could be solution, but I like know exactly where come sound)

I´m reading about scissor gears, but I don´t know if this noise could be that... decompressor could be? cam chain? Other part of the bike could be? (extrange since it seems come from cover, but...)

What do you think? typicas TL-SV engine noise?

thanks

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
TL --> Ticks Loudly
Perhaps let a TL owner ride it and ask him if he hears something.

Greetings
Rufer

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
:stupid

TL = Ticks Loudly

I guess it might be possible that the springs are broken in the scissor gears in one of the cam gears. I think you can check them without being destructive, by removing the cam and then the circlip for the scissor gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for answer. Somebody found a broken spring in scissor? Could I wait to next valve adjust (10k mi) to check them? (a inside broken spring is dangerous to reliability? or only cause noise?).
Dissasembly scissor is possible to assembly again with springs if they weren´t broken (or without broken spring)? Or when you dissasembly, cannot install them again?
Looking ronayers.com I can see that scissor gears on cams, aren´t serviceable (no spring replace)

thanks to all

·
Upside Down Super Mod,
29,860 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts