TLZone Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my nephew wanted a rack for his ford ranger. this is what i came up with. took most of the day, but it came out ok, i think.

·
Moderator,
8,251 Posts
:thumbup Looks good it does. Amazing how long cutting up and welding a few pieces of steel together can take, ain't it?

·
Registered
334 Posts
looks good. can you build one for my tiller?:lol

·
Premium Member
11,457 Posts
Wish I could weld like that,

I want to get some spring perches welded to my 95 YJ so I can mount the leaf springs over my axles.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
glad you like it. i've recently taken up tig welding to do aluminum and stainless. want to try magnesium too...without starting it fire:devious

anyway, if all goes well this will be my retirement gig. i need a bigger shop though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Starting mag on fire is a bit of a myth unless it's magnesium dust or filings. For doing thin magnesium you need some some sort of heat sink. Very easy to turn it into a blob of what used to be an expensive part.
I'm supposed to be going on a welding course in Jan for special metals, 5 weeks of practicing funfunfun.

Tim

Good looking rack by the way. Sounds wrong though saying it....

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
:stupid nice work :hail

·
Moderator,
14,795 Posts
wow you got some skills :thumbup

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks awesome :thumbup powdercoat it and he'll just think you went out and bought one :laugh

-:banana
i'm just the builder. painting it is his problem:devious

i hate painting!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
you did a real nice job on that rack !! most of the mag ive tig welded is frustrating cause its mostly been like a chainsaw or motorcyclrcase,pressure die-cast ,very porous under the surface and you really end up playing in a mud puddle .you have to keep adding filler untill the shit all floats to the top.tig welding aluminum on the other hand i find quite rewarding because it is relatively easy to produce nice looking beads

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the heads up tillerdog. i'll keep that in mind. i'll make sure i practice on someone elses part :devious

1 - 14 of 14 Posts