TLZone Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 TLS with a cracked frame, do I have to find another TLS frame or will a TLR frame work? I am new to the TL's and don't know all the differences between the years and models.

Thanks

·
Moderator,
8,230 Posts
:no The two are completely different.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
depending on where the crack is it is easily repaired

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
This could be related to a recall. I seem to remember issues with 1997 TLS frames being replaced here in the states. I had a new tank replaced on my 98 TLS from a recall.. I'm old and my memory is lacking.. Could be too late to do anything about it now..

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have just picked up a 97 TLS, the frame has a slight crack near the head stock, I rang Suzuki and it has an outstanding recall but this is for the Steering damper, the kind man at Suzuki told me If I bring it in and leave it with him for a day, he would fit a replacement damper (as it already has one fitted) and he would check the frame and if it looks to be a faulty frame he will file a claim on my behalf for a free frame, just waiting on the log book and I'm gonna get it booked in.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
If this is the frame I've seen on Facebook then I think it is a bit beyond repair :dowhat I have access to a number of frames, some with the V5 others without.

Reactions: pedrodetski

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is a tiny hairline crack, I have been told by a few people if I can't get it repaired/replaced by Suzuki it would be a simple weld, grind out a V to the end of the crack and build it up with weld but obviously I would like a new frame, but on the other hand if Suzuki replace it with the same frame surely if it's happened to a few people it could happen again :O

·
Registered
26 Posts
Getting all paranoid now, jd sitting on the bike which side is the crack on, iv read about them been prone to cracking around the rear shock hangers. Best get my magnifying glass out....:laugh

·
Registered
67 Posts
If I sit on the bike its on the left hand side, you will have to remove the front fairings to see it, I was told about the possibility of a cracked frame before I decided to get my hands on one, the rear damper mounts are fine on mine I checked it over and over after finding the one near the head stock, this is a pic of a similar crack ��

image.jpg

·
Registered
906 Posts
If I sit on the bike its on the left hand side, you will have to remove the front fairings to see it, I was told about the possibility of a cracked frame before I decided to get my hands on one, the rear damper mounts are fine on mine I checked it over and over after finding the one near the head stock, this is a pic of a similar crack 👍

View attachment 40674
Had the same kind of cracks, Suzuki replaced the frame.
Welding the cast section is tricky and needs heat treatment like Suzuki does. Don't know of any TLzone members who had that section repaired. So it would be a nono for me.

I'm sure insurance lawyers know how to destroy the welding.

So it would be a nono for me.

·
Premium Member
6,872 Posts
there is no recall notice against the frames - the recall is for the damper only.
You can make a claim of faulty goods for a frame or a tank but you may not necessarily win that claim. Some do, some don't.
Perhaps forum members who successfully made such claims could post up and tell us how they succeeded where others have failed...............

·
Registered
906 Posts
there is no recall notice against the frames - the recall is for the damper only.
You can make a claim of faulty goods for a frame or a tank but you may not necessarily win that claim. Some do, some don't.
Perhaps forum members who successfully made such claims could post up and tell us how they succeeded where others have failed...............
Well, it's a while ago in 2000 when Suzuki hadn't forgotten about twins yet. Just brought the frame to the dealer who sent it to the importer, and as I've been told it was shipped to Japan for further examination. Got a brand spanking new frame in a plastic bag. That's all. Sorry for the crack picture not being too sharp from the era of filmrolls. Was already happy with a printed date on the picture. As you can see it took about 6 weeks for Suzuki to figure it out and send things forth and back. It took me about two weekends and an unknown quantity of beer to put the bike together again. She's still around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeap, whellies craks frames and mess up transmissions....especialy 1st n 2nd gear.
Mine frame is fine except tranny im going to rebuild in winter.
Welder could fix it but has to be experienced in these kinds of repairs.

·
Registered
13,114 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts