TLZone Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be putting the lady up for the winter - luckily she has a perfect spot reserved in my living room.

I was thinking about using the downtime to beautify that grey frame into a mirror finish - any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Here's how I'm doing it:
- buy another frame
- put oven cleaner on frame to remove anodized layer
- sand cast sections with power tools
- take to a pro shop that has HUGE polishers to finish
- touch-up myself

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
Don't do it, powdercoat. It's painless
+1 to what Jim said. THe upkeep on polish is terrible. I would rather ride than be cleaning my bike.

If you are stuck on Polishing have it powder coated clear. You will NEVER have to buff. EVER.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Its a good look but if you have not done it before,make sure you do your homework first,and trust me you dont want to do that in your living room.Unless you want black shit everywhere.
It is a very messy & time consuming process.To give you an idea just to do one side of that frame to a high quality finish, it will take you the best part of the day.
Oh! and don't use an oven cleaner, it is highly corrosive & will bite in & blemish the alloy deeply, making it very hard to get an even shine.Use a nylon wheel on the end of the drill, you'll find the anodise will come off easily with out scratching the surface too deeply.
For the ultimate finish,to finish it off ,hand rub it with 1500 wet & dry sandpaper & water & go over it with a buff & a good metal polish.It will bring it up like a mirror.

Good luck:thumbup

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips ---- can always count on the T.L.Zone

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
Jace...I disagree, if you don't start with some lye (oven cleaner) you've got to sand thru the outer hard anodize layer. The oven cleander saves a TON of work. I've even left it on overnight. And believe me, it's harder getting thru the anodize layer than getting thru the oxidized layer the oven-cleaner leaves behind. Just spray on a half-can, hose it off, and you just saved yourself the hardest part of the first step. With the oven cleaner first you never use anything too coarse, so you never get any deep scratches you have to buff out. The cast parts and shaping the welds nicely, and inside the holes are the hardest parts.

I'm eager to learn anything new, what's this "nylon wheel in a drill"??? I use abrasive-impregnated rubber polishing points in various sizes for the hardest parts...but I have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Jace...I disagree, if you don't start with some lye (oven cleaner) you've got to sand thru the outer hard anodize layer. The oven cleander saves a TON of work. I've even left it on overnight. And believe me, it's harder getting thru the anodize layer than getting thru the oxidized layer the oven-cleaner leaves behind. Just spray on a half-can, hose it off, and you just saved yourself the hardest part of the first step. With the oven cleaner first you never use anything too coarse, so you never get any deep scratches you have to buff out. The cast parts and shaping the welds nicely, and inside the holes are the hardest parts.

I'm eager to learn anything new, what's this "nylon wheel in a drill"??? I use abrasive-impregnated rubber polishing points in various sizes for the hardest parts...but I have no idea what you're talking about.
Out of the 1000's of bits......ect that I have polished, I never came across a smooth surface under the anodize coating.There is always a mild rough finish,otherwise the anodize would not stick.Thats why I use the nylon wheel,I kill two birds with one stone,take off the anodize & smooth out the surface at the same time.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i have a polished frame and i am beginning to hate it. I got it that way when i bought the bike and i thought "cool" but it is a such a hassle to keep clean and looking "good" I stopped caring and may just have the frame wrinkle black powdercoated in a year or so. I will agree that it looks awesome when it is clean, but when it's dirty, it looks like butt...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Did this last winter...tried the oven cleaner method on the swinger...Pain in the ass and very dirty....
What i did for the frame was start at 60 Grit Paper and sand through the annodizing...once through....go up to 80....120....320...400...600 Grit paper.
Then use a medium rubbing compound......then finish with a fine rubbing compound...
Looks great and the upkeep is not that bad...water spots are a pain...but everyone who see my bike is impressed...
I love the fact that when we are sitting at the Tim Hortons with a few bikes (much newer GSXR/CBRR) people always come up and ask questions about the evil twin...

·
Registered
127 Posts
i have a polished frame and i am beginning to hate it. I got it that way when i bought the bike and i thought "cool" but it is a such a hassle to keep clean and looking "good" I stopped caring and may just have the frame wrinkle black powdercoated in a year or so. I will agree that it looks awesome when it is clean, but when it's dirty, it looks like butt...
:stupid

Bought mine with the polished frame and wheels....takes a lot of time and effort to keep it looking good. :banghead :banghead

Trying to find someone to powdercoat for me as we speak!!

·
Will ride for Food
697 Posts
cpm3rd,

PM me on the powdercoating. I can do it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
all i do is hand polish my frame 2 times a year.And i ride in rain all the time.I just wash bike and ride till it dries.I hardly ever clean or polish my bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts