TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to polish my frame, I've heard, and I believe it is a pain, But I got to do it.

If anyone can help, this would be very much appreciated.

What tools do I need?
What polish do I use?
and how do I do the job?

Please If anybody can help.

Thanks
Argel

·
Registered
258 Posts
i spent days and days polishing my frame. and have given up. so now it looks like shit!!
i recommend either paying someone else to do it or getting it chromed or powder coated

·
Registered
228 Posts
I wish the previous owner of my bike had just chromed the frame instead of polishing it. When I see how beautiful the chrome rims shine after a good polishing, I end up feeling disgusted when I look at my frame. My guess is that the guys that did it got tired and just didn't do an even amount of sanding across the whole frame. After polishing it, it still looks like it has water stains on it and its cloudy. Next to the chrome rims and Yosh exhaust, it looks like pure hell.

·
Premium Member
7,285 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
If you like the looks of chrome.. it's easier to have that done for sure. Personaly I prefer the looks of polished stuff over chromed. Chromed is just a touch to cold looking..

·
Registered
813 Posts
I polished mine last winter....the hardest parts were the unfininished cast parts.
I learned dont be afraid ...get a good sander lots of paper and give it hell...
Once you are through the anodizing you are golden....
I found it easier to just sand than using oven cleaner as it made a hell of a mess..
It looks good as long as you keep it polished....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the replies,

Does anyone know how much to have frame and swingarm dipped in chrome?

Thanks
Argel

·
Banned
255 Posts
what do you need....I do both here in Jacksonville, Florida......$275 for polish on a swing arm, and $375 for chrome, + shipping of course, As far as the frame If the person who polishes it does it right, It will almost look like chrome. $800 for the TL frame polish, and $1150 for chrome, On last thing to remember......If you chip or scratch chrome, then you need to re chrome the whole part, and chrome also adds weight, Polish you can buff out sctraches, and adds no weight.....hope this info helps.

·
Premium Member
7,697 Posts
If you chrome, you need to get a really good job done, and who has time to watch? No way to tell how they did until it flakes! Copper/nickel/then several layers of chrome. Most plaes don't use the nickel, too little copper, not enough layers of chrome. Then if it gets damaged you have to de-chrome before you can re-chrome. I just don't chrome much at all anymore. Powder-coat looks great, holds up, is faster, cheaper, often lasts longer, and is easier to repair than chrome.

And as far as just sanding instead of removing the anodize first...you can do that if you want. But if the frame is bare and you use lye (oven cleaner) first a few times, then hose it off, it sands a LOT easier! The surface anodize is hard, the aluminum underneath is soft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts