TLZone Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bike for almost a year now. It came with just about everything (mod wise) done to it when I got it. Including a custom paint color, polished frame, chrome wheels, and Yosh Exhaust. I do have to say that I like the contrast of colors between the polished frame and the burnt orange color. Unforunately I'm really not happy with the polish job that was done to the frame. The pictures I usuall see, both on this site and others, of people with polished frame, they look so much nicer then mine does.
So basically my question is this: The black frame look has been growing on me the more of them that I see and I wanted to know if you guys thought it would be easier to go that route OR try to do something to make the polish job I have now look better?
I ask this because I have practically no idea what either of the jobs entails. I know I've read some stuff on this site about both jobs, but I seem to be having an issue finding that information right now.
So I guess I'll start with your opinions as to which one would be "better / easier" and then I'll look for more info on the specific job itself from there.
What do you all think?

·
Registered
608 Posts
well if u powdercoat the frame u need to remove the engine ect... but if u clean up the frame buy the mothers ball and and a good polish cream a maybe some 000 grade steel wool and polish it up. it aint easy but it can be done with some time and elbow grease. and water spots suck to gt out it. i hope u got what u needed if not sorry

but good luck

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you think it will be easier to try and repolish the frame, then I will look into that. Do your or anyone else know of a post or site that has a decent walkthru on how to polish a frame? I really don't have the slightest idea. I can get the items that you suggested, what is a "good polish cream" that you can suggest? I'm not really sure when to use the steel wool and the like, which is why I was looking for the "how to" on frame polishing.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Mine is painted and while it looks good, it requires maintence. Your boots, knees and anything that rubs on the painted items while moving about the bike will quickly wear flat spots in the paint. I have to do touch up on occasion. If it were me I'd powder coat it.

That looks great Gixxstar!

·
Registered
141 Posts
i say go powder black. take it apart. give it to powdering company. clean all your tasty bits. regrease important parts, put it back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
hey, don't want to jack your thread, but you might could use the info as well, anyone have a rough ball park of the cost in powdercoating the frame and subframe?? thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
on the price, i paid 75 for my transparent red on my rims and the guy said it would be about 100-120 for just black but thats in hawaii.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I get the mother's ball, which polish should I get? Do I need any sand paper or anything like that during the work? Do I need any kind of compound or some gritty substance to aid in removing water marks or other blemishes?
Anything else I need to know?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
If it's polished allready you shouldn't need sandpaper.. unless the surface is still very uneven!

I figured the prettiest way to go would be polishing and after that have it anodised. After anodising it will be more resistant to oxidising (?? 'rust')

·
Moderator,
2,701 Posts
I painted mine and haent even been out on the street yet and regret it. You think polish is hard to keep clean black shows all dust and smudges.

If the polish is just dull a good speed drill and some buff pads and some different rouge to take it from fine to ultra fine. I always use white and red and never use mothers at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts