TLZone Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

One french guy more, from Bretagne (West Coast, lol) with a '99 grey TL1000S with 65k km on it (approx 40k miles).
I'm 36 and with 2 children (2 kind boys, 7 and 3) and just had 2 bikes before : 2001 Suzuki SV650S and 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i. Both bike were fine. But the more fun one was the speed triple. A real devil, excellent engine, excellent power, "good at all" in fast corner (a bit shaking by the way...) and so gorgeous ! Really have excellent remembers.

But, since i was 19 i always dreamed about the TLS. Yes, not the TLR, only the TLS. The TLR was really with too much fairing, not my preference :) So, 16 years later, i found one, in not so good condition, and i picked it quickly. A long 22 hours trip with the car, the trailer and the bike, back home, i put it in my garage, closend the door and went to my bend with a stupid smile sticken on my face during some days later :p

Well, now, i try to make it became as news, little by little, and i really enjoy riding her...

By the way, i've got some opinion on it :
- i ride with a rear 180, PR3 : all wrong to me. 180 make the bike so shaky, dont like that. Will bring back a 190 as soon as i will kill the PR3. Then the PR3. Not like this tire at all. Too hard on my opinion, really doesnt transmit any information to me and dont make me confident in the bike. At least, in the front... Will put some M5 Metzeler soon :)
- the fuel consumption : well, as everybody knows it, it's not a BMW :) So, i get some 180km in my best days.
- i'm full stock and it's really good enough to make me on my pants when i take some twisty roads. Great :p
- waw, what a look she has. Really fond of this bike :)
- will keep it all my life, i assume...
- next bike ? Well, second bike, i would say... Will be a Triumph, a 3-in-line i mean, really enjoyed these engines.

Well, i go to the selling section, i'm looking to a rotary... Yes :)
Thanks to all and V. Alex.

PS. I know some of you in this forum. At the point, i remember mrufer with who i get some mails. Really kind and advicefull... I forgot others, sorry... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Nice bike. Some say you will start spending money from now on.
the 180 does an okay job, makes the bike cornering eassier compared to the standard 190/50. That was before the 190/55 was on the market, if you change back to 190, fit the 55.
btw, in line 3 cylinders are great, have one of them in the citroen c1. I'd say for a bike it is either 1 cylinder short or to much. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comments, tlh.
what do you mean with "will start spending money from now on" :p. Should I understand that i will have to spend some time to the mechaninc concerning the engine, and so else ? I agree, that it's an old bike, with a bit of miles on, but concerning reliability, really I don't expect to have troubles with this bike... Should i ? :O

By the way, i take a note of your advice concerning the rear tire size. I will try this, as soon as i will change my tires... I already read some infos about 190-55 vs 190-50 and 180-55 tires on sportrider.com (here : http://www.sportrider.com/five-percent-difference).

Concerning this "3 in line engine", I really appreciated it, because it never felt lethargic (it was even nervous for a 955) at least, it can show a mess on high revs, but for all day commuting or to have some fun with friends on twisty roads, it's really an engine made for the fun. It makes me smiling when you compare this Triumph engine against citroens one :p I don't know the second, but it sounds like a... Porsche :p

Thanks for your reply, it's appreciated :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mechanically it all comes down to maintenance. Mine has done 96k kms, without any issue. But I am the second owner, it had 6000 km when I bought it.
By spending money I mean the (un)necessary mods. Check my photobucket link for some inspiration.

cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts